Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not really sure if this would be better in health or training.

For you small breed owners, how long are your walks/runs usually?

I have a 10 month old 15 lbs. mutt with a build similar to a JRT. I was taking him for about 2-3 miles everyday, but I had someone that seems fairly knowledgeable tell me that this was too long for a dog that small and young.

What do you guys think? I really want to get him to exercise frequently, but I also don't want to injure him in any way either. He's never shown any overuse symptoms, but maybe he just wants to please me?

I'm not really concerned with heat-related issues because he lets me know when he's hot.

Also, any thoughts on upper limits of concrete as a surface?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
I have three small dogs 7.5 - 13 pounds. They all go on 3 mile walks each day as long as the weather is not too hot or too cold. We live near the foothills so not all of our walking is on concrete, most is on dirt trails. I would ask your vet about it. I don't think 2 mile is too much for a young dog, especially one with a lot of pent up energy. But do try to stay off the concrete part of the time until you get the go ahead from the vet.

·
Registered
334 Posts
You don't want to push them physically until they are done growing
But with small breeds (under 20 lbs full grown) their growth rate is really quick - they are skelatally done growing at 8 months, and by 10 months they have developed adult muscle as well.

My little dogs are 'professional dog walkers' with my boyfriend - they go on two intense 1 hour walks with a group of 7-8 other dogs every day.

Now you have to start slow with them to make sure that you allow them to build muscle and cardio conditioning that they're comfortable doing the distance, but they're totally capable!

I would say that my little dogs ( 5.5lbs and 7lbs) probably do about 4-7km a day, and they're off leash, so they're covering more distance than even that, and they're happy, healthy, balanced and content! :)

Meghan

·
Registered
691 Posts
My pug is 11 months and 18 pounds. She gets 2 1/2 hour walks a day (at least). If it's not too hot, we do a mid day walk too. She also gets tons of other exercise by running around the house with my daughter when it's just too hot out, indoor behavior training and trips to friends houses and the pet store. She usually lets me know when she's had enough. ;)

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
When I was younger I owned a bearded collie, a working dog who supposedly needs a lot of exercise. We would take him for a good 20 minute run in a field every day after school and that was good enough for him.

Now I own a min pin, supposedly an "apartment dog" and he could do about 3 of those 20 minute runs before he was content. I've taken him for 7km hikes and he wasn't even winded, and when we passed the park on the way home he wanted to run some more!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses.

I'm not too worried about conditioning because he lets me know when he needs a break - he'll just veer off to the grass and lay down.

I was more concerned about early arthritis or joint damage.

I took him for what I thought was a couple of miles one day. Come to find out it was about 4.5 miles and we ran most of it. He didn't even appear winded.

I wonder what we be better for him?

- steady couple miles at an even pace

- or something like sprint repeats

1 - 6 of 6 Posts