Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of Fridays ago, our 3 year old Schichon (shih tzu and bichon frise), had very red eyes. We took him to the vet and they prescribed him ointments. Saturday fine, Sunday lethargy and fever not eating and drinking. Took him to emergency did vitals and said he was fine, and take to regular vet on Monday. Monday took him to vet, they ran CBC and Urinalysis, he had a fever of 104. They prescribed him cerinia for nausea and doxycline to fight off anything he may have. Wed still not well and not eating or drinking - I was syringing water to his mouth. HIs blood work came back normal, only thing off was WBC which was elevated at 16000. Urine fine.
Thursday started to bark more and started to cough and gag. Cough disappeared
Friday still not well, not playing eating some chicken and rice or would drink only from hose or from water bottle if i held it and poured out, he was eating a small bit of canned food, gagging when drank water. Took back to vet they performed X-rays on chest and neck, nothing abnormal.
Saturday took for Ultrasound of stomach, heart, kidney liver - all fine.
Today still not a big interest in hard food or water. He did drink some from water bowel and ate 2 small entree wellness chicken with gravy cans.
Pooping and peeing fine, he started to play and is interested in his toys but gets exhausted fast.

So no fever, still on Doxycline for the next few days, still doesn't want to drink a lot of water but drank some out of a coffee mug and will lap it up if i pour it out of a water bottle. Ate some (10 hard kibbles), and will eat the wellness entree.

Question I was reading about Esophagus problems, and will talk to the vet tomorrow.

Any ideas anyone? Ever experience this where the dog doesn't want to drink his water, and all tests point to nothing!?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Have the vet do a blood workup diabetes can also cause a dog to shun water but, it can be treated if it's found. Kidney disease is also possible but, blood tests may detect that as well. Have your vet check for anything blood can tell them, not just a CBC but, a full workup.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your response, waiting for the vet to call me back today to see if they did the full panel and will ask about esophagus, food allergies etc. Need to get our little man better!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update, we gave our dog ENTYCE to suppress his appetite, and boy or boy did it work, he ate he actually his hard food and soft food. We also purchased a water fountain dish and he drank water!!! I sure hope he is on the up swing, as blood work would be next and then he would need to be put under for an esophagus test. So crossing my fingers and toes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think its best for you to bring your pup to the vet and let them check her out. we may not be able to give you the most acccurate advise and we may even misdiagnose a larger problem.

do bring your pup to the vet !! hope all will be well!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts