Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on adopting a small white (pic looks like maybe american eskimo dog) dog who is not spayed and estimated to weigh around 20-25 pounds. I'm informed she was recently allowed to mate with a "quite a bit larger dog", possibly a "rott mix". Does she have any chance of having a normal delivery? I called the vet and asked but the lady answering the phone said she doesn't know and she has never seen that before.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Following through with that pregnancy could be very dangerous to the mama. I would recommend an emergency spay as soon as possible.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I would not be comfortable with leaving her to deliver naturally. I would take her to the vet, have an X-ray/ultrasound done and determine whether an emergency spay can be done. If not, I would schedule a C-section for her.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think all of that would be too much for me to take on. She is adopting the dog out for free. I suggested that she take it to a rescue to make sure someone doesn't take her that will make her go through with the pregnancy without medical care.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Emergency spay/abortion, for sure. There are way too many mutts in the world and of course there is significant danger to the mother.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fact that they will be mutts is irrevelant, the only issue here is the danger to the mother. Anyway, I have decided not to adopt her and I really appreciate the responses to my question.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I agree I don't think Mutt is the issue here. NO dog weather it is a purebred or a mutt should be having puppies that could end up in shelters. It is safest for this bitch to have an emergency spay. a natural birth could kill her

·
Banned
363 Posts
If you completely put aside the overpopulation, should not be breeding mutts etc issues and speak strictly from a medical perspective, how much risk is their in breeding a 20 lb dog with a rottie sized dog? Real problem or does mother nature sort it out somehow? Does anybody know for sure?

I've no idea, just curious.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
how much risk is their in breeding a 20 lb dog with a rottie sized dog?
In most cases she would either die in birthing (nature "sorting it out") or would need a c-section (or intervention of some kind, anyway).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Someone told me that dogs of that huge of a size difference can not make puppies. That the mother's body will either not get pregnant or it will not grow the puppies. It kind of makes sense since there are a LOT of unfixed dogs out there of various sizes who are allowed to mate with each other, yet the vet has NEVER seen this before? I don't know though, so I chose not to adopt her, I hope the person who has her followed my advice but she didnt' seem to care.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
How far along is she? Early pregnancy, I'd take her to have a pregnant spay rather than take chances of losing her during whelping and having to find homes for the pups. If she's late in her pregnancy, expect to pay for a C-section and get some help for the 24 hour care of the pups. IF you need advice on helping her with the pups we'll be here for you.

Someone told me that dogs of that huge of a size difference can not make puppies. That the mother's body will either not get pregnant or it will not grow the puppies. It kind of makes sense since there are a LOT of unfixed dogs out there of various sizes who are allowed to mate with each other, yet the vet has NEVER seen this before? I don't know though, so I chose not to adopt her, I hope the person who has her followed my advice but she didnt' seem to care.

Complete MYTH, the DNA is compatible and they will still produce pups, the mother can die while giving birth and the pups could get stuck in the birth canal. It's dangerous for the mom and pups.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Why the hell was she allowed to mix with a rottie in the first place? That's rediculous. Poor dog... poor poor puppies... stupid stupid STUPID people.

The whole point of abortion would be to protect the mother, not to 'limit the population of mutts'. Come on. Have some heart.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Thanks, I think all of that would be too much for me to take on. She is adopting the dog out for free. I suggested that she take it to a rescue to make sure someone doesn't take her that will make her go through with the pregnancy without medical care.
If the dog is a nice dog and you were intending to spay her anyway, it isn't that much to take on. You just need to get her to the vet ASAP and get it done. If it is very early on, it is not a big deal. I agree that letting her try to deliver on her own could very well be the end of her.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
The whole point of abortion would be to protect the mother, not to 'limit the population of mutts'. Come on. Have some heart.
Of course the main reason is to protect the mother. But I don't really see what's wrong with preventing the suffering of more mixed puppies in shelters when so many die every day, but that's just me. I've heard lots of people mention spay-abortions on here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts