Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Backstory: My Dycen is a German Pinscher a breed that was originally bred to be ratters and watch dogs on the farm etc. They were bred to be independent thinkers with a powerful prey drive and have a strong attachment to "their" people. Outsiders, are something to be viewed with caution but not aggression...

Well, as some may remember Dycen was originally acquired as a companion for my cousin, but because he developed a strong attachment to me, my cousin decided to leave him behind when he moved, at a point in time I was not really in a postion to properly socialize him. This topped with the breed's inherit nature to be cautious of strangers lead to a dog that was extremely afraid of anyone new. He would cower in fear behind me and bark continuously at anyone that came near him for the first 1yr of his life...

He is now 2 yrs old and Today: for the first time in about 6 months, he was put into a postion where he was being exposed to ALOT of different people and dogs (low cost vaccine/microchipping clinic), I was expecting him to be very leary and somewhat skittish. BOY was I surprised, although he did not seek out attention, he also did not shy away either, he stood calmly and quietly right next to me or at attention but not the least bit nervous, between my legs.... GREAT JOB BUDDY!!!! You'll be getting some extra treats tonight:whoo:

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Congratulations! Good job to you and Dycen! :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Sounds like proper behavior for that breed. Good on you and dycen! What is it with Germans and standoffish dogs, anyway?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts