Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to try and slow down how quick Mick eats, in the morning he eats 2 cups of dry food in about 45 seconds. I tried putting tennis balls in the food bowl, but he just took them out and then proceeded to inhale his food. Does anyone use a slow feeder, do they work? Other ideas to get him to slow down?

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I want to try and slow down how quick Mick eats, in the morning he eats 2 cups of dry food in about 45 seconds. I tried putting tennis balls in the food bowl, but he just took them out and then proceeded to inhale his food. Does anyone use a slow feeder, do they work? Other ideas to get him to slow down?
I use a slow feeder for Jasper, I also use food toys. :) He will eat so fast he throws up afterwards. :p I will change it up from day to day with the feeder bowls. I have the following and they all really help.
JW Pet SkidStop Slow Feed
Kyjen Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder I own the hills, coral, flower, and the drop design. Jasper's least favorite is the drop design.

I also feed him from Kongs, and other interactive toys.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
My dog is a food inhaler. I use a Starmark Bob a Lot, which makes her only able to get a few kibbles out at a time. She's gotten good, so it takes her about 3 minutes to eat 3/4 cup of food. The opening is adjustable for kibble size and difficulty. I've never used a slow feeder bowl though.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I use to use a slow feeder bowl and then went to food toys before going to raw.

I liked the toys better than the bowl, the bowl didn't really slow Manna down at all but the toys can only dispense so much at a time. And well raw has to be torn up and shredded first before she can swallow it.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I use food toys with Hobgoblin. He inhales food too. For breakfast I train with his kibble, as long as it takes to get through all of his food. He needs the training anyway, he's only been here 2 weeks. He gets his second meal split between his evening walk and a kong. I also have a starmark ball that takes him about 20minutes to get all of the food out of. I've been looking at other food toys because he won't always need such long training sessions and I don't have 30minutes for training every day.

http://pitlandia.blogspot.com/2013/05/top-10-food-dispensing-dog-toys.html
some one posted this the other day and I've been reading over it trying to chose one to try next.

·
Registered
710 Posts
My dog also wolfs her food down so I recently ordered the Kyjen Slo-Bowl Slow Feeder (from Amazon); it is due to arrive today. It will be interesting to see if this bowl slows her dining time to a 4-5 minute meal. I ordered the flower design.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I feed Gypsy from an Omega Tricky Treat Ball. Not a tough interactive toy, but it does slow down her eating considerably and keeps her occupied for several minutes.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I use food toys, too. Kabota will eat so fast he chokes, and then continues eating as he chokes. Food toys force him to eat only a few kibbles at a time.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I ordered the drop and flower bowls by kyjen also! Supposed to arrive tomorrow. Echo eats ⅔ cup of dry and ¼ cup canned in 21 seconds. I'll let you know how it goes.

She brings me her kongs and Waggle toys every day for me to stuff with kibble or whatever I think of, she knows them by name, we call them kong and the other we call "refill" which is her favorite toy... "Go get your refill!" And she trots off happily to get it. Lol

Anyway I really hope she doesn't figure out how to flip it over and cheat though I think she will like the challenge and stop standing over slower Darby waiting for her to finish so she can give Darby's bowl the lick over.

·
Registered
614 Posts
why do you want him to slow down when he eats? when i feed my dog if he eats his food slow or fast i don't care.
You posted this question on my thread regarding a similar question. Eating too quickly can cause gastrintestinal upset, improper nutrient absorption, or bloat... among other problems such as throwing up the food.

I've started feeding breakfast using the kong genius toys to slow my guy down. The problem I posted about was kibble size because his small kibble just slipped right out. Just something to keep in mind when selecting your food dispensing toy.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Yeah the Kong Genius toys were more meant for biscuits than food. I have a couple but I use them for dog biscuits.

doggiepop, if your dog is eating at a normal speed then it isn't an issue. A dog that eats too fast may choke, or throw up. Eating too fast can also cause bloat and general intestinal issues. The other reason for putting food in toys instead of feeding out of bowl is to keep your dog's mind active. If I feed Hobs out of a dish he will gulp his food down and then spend the rest of the day searching for more food. If I train him with part and give him the rest in a food toy or puzzle he works his mind and keeps himself busy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So I ordered this from amazon like suggested and it help a lot, he went from 45 seconds to 19 minutes.

Mick has a sensitive stomach and I think it is from eating fast, this is day 3 of using it and he has stopped eating grass and has had no regurgitation. He is just like Kabota too, he will eat so fast he chokes then keeps eating while choking. He has not yet tried to flip the feeder over.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts