Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the slow feed maze bowls causing skin issues... Nug has had "puppy pyoderma" on his chin forever, vet gave us mal-a-ket wipes about a year? Ago when they were more pustules, but now they look like the below picture- more generalized, more scaly and less the puppy chin acne type stuff. We got one of those kyjen food maze bowls (the magenta flower) about a year ago and he almost always eats out of that now because it makes him eat the slowest. But wondering if it could be causing issues, and if so:

What do you use (besides that) to slow down a fast eater, that can be used in a crate? In the mornings he eats in the crate and usually stays in there until I let him out for lunch, so the food toys don't work. He had a ceramic slow feeder with a bone shape in The middle but even that doesn't slow him down much. Or maybe I just shouldn't worry about it, the chin thing isn't painful/bloody/ect. and vet said he looked great at his appt a few weeks ago. It just bothers me when I'm scratching his chin, haha.

Chin today:

(This is my thumb, so the bits are extremely small. You honestly can't see them unless you really look for them under good light, the second picture is what he looks like "normally")

(Hope this is ok to post in This section- vet just gave us a refill of the wipes, vet isn't concerned at all, just wondering if there's a better alternative to feeding in the crate than what were currently doing.)

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Or add a bit of water to kibble in a regular bowl and freeze it.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you are not using a crate pad, why not just pour the food out on the crate pan....
He has a big bed in there. We feed fishy food (NB LID) and it starts to get gross fast if you just feed it on the bed.

QUOTE=CptJack;4441698]Or add a bit of water to kibble in a regular bowl and freeze it.[/QUOTE]

ooh I do like this. I'll have to try it in the am and see how it works.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I'm kind of a jerk, but to slow Sans' eating I literally just dump the food out on the floor around her food dish. She likes hunting down all the kibbles and she keeps my floor very clean in that area! :p

Freezing and eating it sounds like a very slow way hahaha, but to each their own.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Clyde's skin looks like that on his chin but I think it's caused by being a slobbery beast with skin folds down between his jowls. Not infected in any way but clearly there's irritation. He eats out of normal bowls.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts