Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 3 month old lab/aussie shepherd mix doesn't seem to like the slicker brush. I'm not sure whether it's the metal (as he doesn't seem to be too fond of anything metal or especially shiny) or the feeling as I know it's a lot more coarse than the boar bristle brush. However, he's shedding and it's doing something awful to my allergies so he's overdue for a good brushing. I'm uneasy about taking him to the groomer since he still has two sets of shots to go. With that in mind are there any good and equally effective alternatives to the slicker brush?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I think this will be less about finding a new brush and more about training your pup to tolerate the brushing itself. I'll repeat what someone else told me on another forum about my brushing Sam (Sam in particular tries to attack any brush that comes near her, and even if you manage to get the brush on her fur, she doesn't like it one bit):

You have to introduce the brush slowly. Just near her at first - treat, then touch her with it - treat, then a brushing motion - treat, then actually brush her briefly - treat. Only treat when YOU get what YOU want from her, which is calmness and no growling or biting or yiping.

Also praise her when she's good.

Do each step over and over until she accepts it, then move on. Always end an exercise on a positive note.

She'll get used to it and then accept it.
Someone else added something that I'm going to be trying:

For brushing I did it slowly at first using the fine soft baby brushes first to get him used to the sensation then slowly switching brushes until he got used to the harder one. It also helped him to watch me use the brush on others so he could see it doesn't hurt. my sister got her hair brushed a lot!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!! That helps a lot!

I know his aversion to metal is part of the issue, as I let him sniff it and lick at it before I even try to brush him. But even though he still yowls something awful at the actual brushing, we're taking baby steps in the right direction :)

My sinuses and my future clean dog thank you and those who gave you the advice!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts