Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Sleepy puppy

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  parus 
#1 ·
I’m a first time puppy owner , I have a miniature dachshund who is 4 months old, I’ve had him 9 days.

i was just wondering how normal it is for him to be sleeping so much!
I swear he’d sleep all day if I stayed there, lol.
he’s right now going into a 2 hour nap.

food doesn’t even rouse him.
In the mornings I have to physically pick him out of his crate to go potty lol

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Puppies temd to play hard and then sleep hard, and while some puppies are calmer and chill than others, that doesn't sound typical, especially for a Dachshund. Has he been to the vet?

#4 ·
No puppy of mine that age slept and slept and slept or gave me the impression she'd sleep all day if I weren't around to wake her. They'd play vigorously for a while, sleep for a while, play a while, sleep a while. At 4 months I think all of mine were sleeping or at least quiet through the night, but I can remember waking to see one on her back, quietly playing with her own front feet. At 4 months they were going to puppy kindergarten, 40 minutes to get there and an hour-long class. Maybe they slept on the way home, but were sure to wake when we got there and go for a potty walk before back in the house. I second the idea that if this puppy hasn't had a thorough check out by a vet aware of its sleeping all the time, it should have just that.

#6 ·
Thankyou for the reply!
He has been to the vet and he gave him the once over, checked his temperature, gums, eyes and felt him and said he was fine .
Once he’s up he is full of beans bouncing around.
we did a park walk yesterday and even when we got home he wanted to play some more.
I was just concerned he doesn’t wake up of his own accord it’s usually because I will be moving around doing something and so he will come investigate lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.