Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gone at work for about 10 hours a day. I let my dogs out in the morning and we have some walks and playtime and then in the evening as soon as i get home i do the same but also add another long walk before bed to tire them out some.

They sleep all night (or at least they are quiet all night). But i was wondering about how many hours a day do dogs really sleep? Lately, our BM has been maybe ?bored in his room and started chewing on things (which has never happened) and i wonder if maybe i should take him on longer walks in the morning so he is sleepy during the day?! I feel like he is bored?!? Bored vs. separation anxiety, or just getting into mischief? he is recently recovering from having his left eye removed and i thought it was the pain meds making him kinda out of it b/c he has been doing strange things, but he is off of them now....

I have toys and other things for him in his room but i'm worried that he is feeling lonely or bored?!? Any suggestions or input of what everyone's dogs do while their away?!?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota sleeps 16-18 hours a day. When I call home from work, my husband says "he's sleeping" every single time I ask. When I'm home on weekends, he really does sleep that much. He's basically only awake when both of us are home together after I get home from work.

You can provide a frozen, stuffed Kong to help with boredom. You can exercise more and train more. That's usually enough to curb some boredom chewing.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok good. i was hoping that he slept during the day, (which he used to) and hoping that it was just effects of medication that was causing him to act differently. I was just unsure of the amount of sleep that a dog actually gets within a day. I know when i'm getting ready for work in the morning i try and talk with him and keep him awake (even though he normally will lay at my feet and snore). Also, as soon as he is completely healed, i can let him play with our lab mix again. They have been separated for a few weeks due to his healing process. The only time they spend together is through a baby gate and licking each other. But i'm sure she will keep him occupied soon enough. Thanks!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Hitch sleeps alot also. My husband and I both work 8 hrs a day 5 days a week, but my husband gets to work from home 2 of the days. Hitch sleeps the whole time we work whether my husband works at home or not. He also sleeps about 8 hours at nigt with us. On weekends I like to take Hitch on outings, and he gets very tired if he dosn't sleep during the day, usually on the ride home he is sleeping soundly. He gets around 1.5-2+ hours of walking and/or hiking a day.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
I like large dogs (60 - 80 pounds), because then tend to sleep more as they get older. Mine now seems to sleep about 20 hours a day :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Me too!!! Love my big dogs! nothing against little dogs, but i love to snuggle up with my big BM and lab! I did notice that on weekends my BM sleeps ALOT and when i try to keep him awake to play or something he just walks off and goes in the corner to curl up. lol. oh well at least he isn't bored when i'm gone i guess! and my lab will sleep in the bed with us for about an hour or so then start walking around and trying to get comfortable and thats when i put her back in her room b/c she keeps me up! but she doesn't fight it, i think she sleeps better alone in her room! =) Thanks for all the advice!

·
Registered
878 Posts
We always say that Hamish has 2 modes - on / off. When there is something to interest him he's wide awake, and he spends the rest of the time recharging his batteries!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Oh my goodness!!!

Butters never sleeps during the day, especially if I'm home. She has one nap usually after lunch time, but other than that she's pretty much always up and about! I wish she would sleep when I'm away at work :( but my roomate who takes care of her while I'm gone says she rarely does :( Talk about high energy lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HAHA thats not a bad thing. my lab does that. she doesn't sleep if i'm home (except if she goes under the bed, thats her "hiding" place) but normally she is wide open all day when i'm there. As far as what goes on when i leave, no clue! She will prob pick up on my BM's routine of sleeping b/c i dont see him changing to stay awake all day. He is almost 7 and she is only 24 weeks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts