Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a rottweiler puppy in a few months (my cousin lives with me until july, and shes allergic to dogs, so I'm waiting till she moves out), I'm trying to spend this time researching, because this will be the first dog I've raised, and I want a very well mannered dog.

I hear time and time again - Have your puppy sleep in a crate. The main reasoning behind it is so "your puppy gets used to using a crate", well I definitely want to train my puppy to be comfortable using a crate, but I don't want to make him used to sleeping in it every night. Don't get me wrong, while I'm housebreaking him I plan to use the crate until I can tell its safe to have him out of it at night. But I would much rather not use it as soon as possible.

Some people don't like to have big dogs on their bed, but it really doesn't bother me. I have a big bed, and most nights it holds myself, my girlfriend, and 3 cats.

The main reason I would rather have him out of his cage, is because I'm an extremely deep sleeper. When hes a puppy I'm going to have to leave him in my room anyways, or else theres NO way I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night to take him outside. Theres no way I'll wake up. Alarm clocks rarely wake me up, and I really need someone to nudge me awake. I don't want to wake up to a barking dog in a crate... thats worse than an alarm clock.

Everyone I know leaves their dog in a crate every night while at home, and I just can't stand the idea of doing that. Their dogs generally aren't very happy dogs, and I think being in a crate so much has a lot to do with it. I'd like to avoid using it as much as possible.

A few questions. Is a puppy more likely to poop / pee on my bed, or on the floor after being partially housebroken? Are there any problems with letting them sleep on the bed?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Our dogs did better when we kept them in our room before they were 100% housebroken, but I think it depends on the dog. Our dogs, were also older.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Our puppies only slept in their crate for the first week, until we were overpowered by their cuteness and just had to have them sleep in our bed. They've done it from then on, and it's been perfect.

I'm a heavy sleeper like you, plus I sleep in many mornings, but when a puppy is coming over and barking cutely in your face because he needs to go potty, it's impossible to sleep through. :)

Our puppies are still very comfortable in their crate; in fact they often go into it on their own to rest, and they have zero separation anxiety when we have to leave them for a bit.

Oh, they have never once had peed or pooped on the bed, not the tiniest tinkle. (They still have an occasional accident in the house if I'm not vigilant, but never on the bed.)

I can't think of a down side, honestly. It's pure heaven to fall asleep cuddling a puppy and to wake up to sweet puppy kisses. :) Oh, our puppies will be about 50 pounds full-grown (they are Standard Poodles). We used to sleep comfortably with two Standards in a queen-sized bed... now we have a king and there is going to be plenty of room for all three when they're full grown.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If a puppy needs to pee in the middle of the night, he's not going to nudge you awake to do it. He's going to pee in your bed. Only puppies that are crated will cry when they need to pee in the night, because they don't want to soil their sleeping area. Once they have a sleeping area that allows them to pee in one spot and sleep in the other, they'll do just that. That's why, in crate-training, it's important that your crate isn't big enough for your puppy to do this. A partially housebroken pup will pee on the floor/on your bed. Partially housebroken is nowhere near housebroken.

One other thing you might want to consider is that crates aren't just to keep your carpets safe -- they're also to keep your puppy safe. If a puppy is left in a room unsupervised, soiling the area is practically the least of your worries. He could bite through a cord, chew open a remote control and swallow the batteries, eat a sock or an entire cushion's stuffing, chew through a table leg and have the entire thing fall down... Quite honestly, pups will get themselves into trouble that we can't even imagine or pre-empt.

Because of this, I wouldn't stop crating a puppy until he was a) completely 100% potty-trained and b) trained to chew only his toys.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Hmm. After reading Melissa's post, I forgot to add an important caveat to my reply... my puppies are geniuses, so that could be why they never had an accident on the bed, even from when they were 8.5 weeks old, even on a king-sized bed with plenty of room if they had wanted to peepee in a corner of it. Depending on the breed/natural intelligence etc. your mileage may vary. :D

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry to hijack your thread, but someone mentioned that a puppy will cry in their crate when they need to pee b/c they dont want to soil their bed...My new puppy doesnt cry at all at night. I have her in a crate, but its next to my bed so she can see me. I woke up this morning, and there was pee in her crate. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If a puppy needs to pee in the middle of the night, he's not going to nudge you awake to do it. He's going to pee in your bed.
Not true. We have never left Zoey in her crate over night except for the first night we got her. She sleeps on our bed (king size) every night and has -ALWAYS- come to wake us up when she needs to go potty. We got her at 10 weeks, and she's always crawled up and licked our faces when she needs to go out. It's the same thing to her as sleeping in a crate - she sleeps here - and still doesn't want to soil her sleeping area. The only problem with having the bed as their sleeping area is that they won't then see the crate as their sleeping area, and thus will not have as much of a problem soiling it.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Hmm. After reading Melissa's post, I forgot to add an important caveat to my reply... my puppies are geniuses, so that could be why they never had an accident on the bed, even from when they were 8.5 weeks old, even on a king-sized bed with plenty of room if they had wanted to peepee in a corner of it. Depending on the breed/natural intelligence etc. your mileage may vary. :D
Very true. If your puppy is a genius, forget everything I wrote in my first post. Training rules don't apply to genius puppies. :D

Sorry to hijack your thread, but someone mentioned that a puppy will cry in their crate when they need to pee b/c they dont want to soil their bed...My new puppy doesnt cry at all at night. I have her in a crate, but its next to my bed so she can see me. I woke up this morning, and there was pee in her crate. Any advice?
Puppies typically have an instinct not to pee in their sleeping places. If your puppy pees in her sleeping place, it may be because this instinct has been broken. This might be caused by her having to pee in her sleeping place before (because she absolutely couldn't hold it anymore and HAD to go). How often do you take her out? The key is to take her out every couple of hours, not just when she cries. Where did you get this pup?

Not true. We have never left Zoey in her crate over night except for the first night we got her. She sleeps on our bed (king size) every night and has -ALWAYS- come to wake us up when she needs to go potty. We got her at 10 weeks, and she's always crawled up and licked our faces when she needs to go out. It's the same thing to her as sleeping in a crate - she sleeps here - and still doesn't want to soil her sleeping area. The only problem with having the bed as their sleeping area is that they won't then see the crate as their sleeping area, and thus will not have as much of a problem soiling it.
Perhaps your puppy is a genius. See the earlier part of my post.

Just kidding. I have to disagree with one part of your post -- even if a dog sleeps on the bed, he may still soil it. He probably won't soil the exact spot where he sleeps, but he may move to a different part of the bed and soil it. It's the same reason why dogs soil their crates when their crates are too big.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Rottweilers are bed hogs. It's fine when they are rollie-pollie puppies, but when they get full grown they'll steal the covers and dump you on the floor.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Very true. If your puppy is a genius, forget everything I wrote in my first post. Training rules don't apply to genius puppies. :D

Puppies typically have an instinct not to pee in their sleeping places. If your puppy pees in her sleeping place, it may be because this instinct has been broken. This might be caused by her having to pee in her sleeping place before (because she absolutely couldn't hold it anymore and HAD to go). How often do you take her out? The key is to take her out every couple of hours, not just when she cries. Where did you get this pup?

Perhaps your puppy is a genius. See the earlier part of my post.

Just kidding. I have to disagree with one part of your post -- even if a dog sleeps on the bed, he may still soil it. He probably won't soil the exact spot where he sleeps, but he may move to a different part of the bed and soil it. It's the same reason why dogs soil their crates when their crates are too big.
The key word in your post middle paragraph is typically. If a pup does pee in their crate it does not mean they are from a puppy mill or there is something wrong with them their instinct. I see this advice time and time again and I have learned that one size does not fit all dogs when it comes to training. My pup was fine in his crate and suddenly started peeing in it around 5 months. Anyway I am not going to tell the whole story but some dogs just don't do well in crates.

I did crate mine at night up until about 5 months. At that time I let him on the bed (Gave in) and it was so much easier. He never had an accident and would sleep in much later in the morning instead of sitting in his crate whining. He was much happier. I really did not want a dog that sleeps on the bed though so I ended up buying him his own bed and now he happily sleeps there.

They are all different though so you will have to go with what works for you. I would think that while the dog is very young you should use the crate because there will be accidents and better to have them confined! Just find a way to wake up so you can take him out. I don't know if having him on the bed vs crate will help with that. That sounds like something you need to figure out! Also think carefully do you really want a rottweiler on your bed for life? haha I am not sure I could deal with it but good luck!

·
Registered
640 Posts
:D Sure they do, but I only have to explain it to them once. i.e. "Boys, this is our bed. We don't peepee on it. When you need to peepee, you wake Mom or Dad up, preferably Dad, and we'll take you O-U-T." They mull that over, nod their heads, and get it. ;)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have never had Marley sleep in a crate. For the first six months he slept on the floor and then one night I went and did something silly and let him sleep on my bed and he has ever since. Usuallly he jumps off in the middle of the night and sleeps the rest of the time on the floor, or sometimes i kick him off if he takes up too much room (hes 80 lbs and I have a double bed). On the other hand my roomies pug sleeps in her crate every night and loves it! I think it just depends what works out better for you and your dog individually.
P.S. Marley never peed in my room in the middle of the night he would always wake me up if he had to go. I did get him when he was 5 months though so it wasnt like having a new puppy.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
The key word in your post middle paragraph is typically. If a pup does pee in their crate it does not mean they are from a puppy mill or there is something wrong with them their instinct. I see this advice time and time again and I have learned that one size does not fit all dogs when it comes to training. My pup was fine in his crate and suddenly started peeing in it around 5 months. Anyway I am not going to tell the whole story but some dogs just don't do well in crates.
Of course. Then again, when we give advice we have to generalise. Maybe I could say MM's post should have read "Rottweilers are typically bed hogs." I don't think I need to add a disclaimer under all my posts saying "this does not apply to every single dog" or "this does not apply to every member of this breed." It's pretty clear that when it comes to dog training, no advice is blanket advice.

I did crate mine at night up until about 5 months. At that time I let him on the bed (Gave in) and it was so much easier. He never had an accident and would sleep in much later in the morning instead of sitting in his crate whining.
Puppies that are 5 months old can usually sleep through the night, as opposed to puppies that are 8 weeks old (usually around the age when they come home).

·
Registered
861 Posts
your crate might be too big. if the puppy has room to pee and lay down all in the same crate, you might need to put a divider in.

dogs typically dont like to sleep where they potty.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Of course. Then again, when we give advice we have to generalise. Maybe I could say MM's post should have read "Rottweilers are typically bed hogs." I don't think I need to add a disclaimer under all my posts saying "this does not apply to every single dog" or "this does not apply to every member of this breed." It's pretty clear that when it comes to dog training, no advice is blanket advice.

Puppies that are 5 months old can usually sleep through the night, as opposed to puppies that are 8 weeks old (usually around the age when they come home).
I'm sorry I wasn't really trying to single you out it's just that I have seen this a lot on these particular forums that people say a dog won't pee where he sleeps (his crate) and if he does there is something wrong such as where you got him from or the crate is too big. See the post above this to see what I mean...

Anyway, I was just saying that it doesn't matter what some people do some dogs will still not be happy sleeping in a crate and will pee in it for many reasons other than having too much room or not using it's instincts or whatever. I guess typically they don't pee in the crate but I keep seeing or hearing (in real life and here) about dogs that do it so I just wonder if it isn't more common than it's made out to be.

And yes I did agree that the poster should use a crate when it is that young (8 weeks). Otherwise I think you are going to end up with an accident in the bed or crate and I know the crate is easier to deal with!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I my experience none of my dogs have ever gone in their crates unless sick (uti or butt soup)....but I have had 2 of them pee in bed (the two smaller ones)...that ended any sleeping on the bed till they were 100% house trained :).....I think dogs sleeping in the bed is a personal choice....I like mine to come on the bed every now and then ....but I also like that they can go in there crate w/no problem....like nights we the hubby and I want to be alone....we don't have to worry about whining killing the mood :D

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Misty sleeps in her crate all night, but before she goes to bed we let her sleep in bed with us for a bit while we're reading, etc.

It's definitely nice to snuggle, but even more nice to have room and know she's fine sleeping in the crate.

It's entirely up to you, still. Good luck with whatever you choose.

·
Banned
749 Posts
Lola slept in my bed for about a week until I got her a crate. With her previous owner she slept in her bed all the time. Her crate is in my room and she would cry and whine when I first had her in a crate but after a while she got used to sleeping in it. She knows when it is time for me to go to bed and she might already be on my bed that she goes in her crate.

I prefer her sleeping in a crate because when i go to work it is very early in the morning and although she is taken out for a potty break she knows she is going in the crate before I leave for work my father comes over a few hours later and takes her out for a walk. After that she has full run of the house except for the bathroom because of the kitty litter box.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
I'm sorry I wasn't really trying to single you out it's just that I have seen this a lot on these particular forums that people say a dog won't pee where he sleeps (his crate) and if he does there is something wrong such as where you got him from or the crate is too big. See the post above this to see what I mean...
Yeah, but it's very common for owners (especially those new to crate-training) to buy crates that are too large. It's not nearly as common for a dog to be born without the instinct to keep its sleeping area clean. Therefore, when someone mentions that his dog pees in his crate, the natural assumption is that the crate is too large.

There are exceptions to almost any piece of advice about dog training, but that doesn't mean we should stop offering advice altogether.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts