Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a first time dog owner, and i'm not sure if I should sleep with my pup. She is fully housebroken and sleeps outside her crate (sometimes she choses to sleep in it, but I keep the door open). Sometimes, but rarely, she whines when she cannot sleep, and I bring her up on my bed, I wait umtil she falls asleep, then place her back onto her bed which is right next to mine. I personally have no problem with her sleeping with me, I just Have some concerns. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
173 Posts
We have always let our dogs sleep in or on the bed with us. Its their choice, not ours. I know of others that allow it, too. It seems to be the vogue thing to do.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
As long as you build a base operation, which it sounds that you have at least started. Crate sleeping while not always necessary is a good tool in the dog training bag. There may be times that (emergency etc) that dog can't sleep in bed with you. Pups are more adaptable to crate training.

Personally I never wanted to sleep with any of our dogs but surely don't have a problem with others doing so, as long as they are not using our beds.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Mine sleep in the bed with me. I like it and they've never been possessive over it or rude.
I don't see anything wrong with it. If she's house broken, crate trained, then she should be fine.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Only my small dogs are allowed in the bed ... they take up a queen size bed somehow? :/ .... I allow them after they are potty trained and I still keep the crate training up ... just in case it is needed. I make sure I crate Eddee at least once a day. This is usually when I am bathing due to the fact that Eddee will jump into the bathtub with me! Lol! :) I do not want him to forget that sometimes the crate is a necessity.

Abbylynn has anxiety issues with a crate ... she is another story in itself. She needs meds to be crated.

Blu Boy has no issues with one ... but he is getting to be older now and I do not require him to be confined unless absolutely necessary. He is always fine with it. :)

I feel it is a personal decision ... but crates IMHO are necessary in cases of emergencies and traveling ... at least for me!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Molly's in bed with us. When she was a tiny pup, we started out with her in a crate next to the bed but she cried so piteously that we couldn't take it & brought her into the bed with us. We're both happy with having her there, me more than hubs but he adores her, too, so I think he secretly loves it although he complains on occasion.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I grew up with dogs sleeping in my bed and that has continued for every dog I've owned. We have a home-made padded step the full width of our queen size bed and 16 inches deep that serves them if they decide they want a bit of their own space. I thought most everybody slept with their dogs. I was quite shocked to find out some had issues with this idea. I couldn't imagine sleeping without a pet close.

I say go for it but will also say that once they're it is really hard to get them out (or so I hear).

SOB

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I love having Kabota up on the bed with us. He switches between the bed and his bed next to our bed. It's up to him.

I would train an "off" command, though. That way, if you do need her off the bed, you can get her off without having to grab her, which avoids any potential problems. (If she's too small, they sell stairs for dogs.)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hamish used to sleep on my Mum's bed but would wake her during the night - sometimes by jumping off because he wanted to go out, and other times by crawling up the bed and staring at her until she woke (she said it was pretty scary the first time he did that!). We tried a few times but gave up because he took up 80% of the bed leaving us hanging off the edges - plus he snored very loudly! So now he has his own room and a pop-up crate when we travel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bridgette, our 1yr lab-mix likes to sleep on the bed in the early morning. But at night they are both on the floor somewhere. For some reason in the middle of the night, she decides to climb up and sleep at the foot of our king size bed. We did have a couple incidents where Snoopy (white husky/Aussie) was walking by and spooked her and a scuffle ensued. but otherwise , it has been a fine arrangement. We don't mind. She keeps my feet warm. Before we got married, my husband allowed Snoopy to sleep on his bed, but she is so furry and sheds that I put an end to it when we got married. Also, now she cannot climb up there because her hips are getting a little arthritic.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
yup, mine sleep in my bed. me and Tank share a couch to sleep on at night if we sleep downstairs. Bentley sleeps on the floor. If we are upstairs in my room they both sleep on my bed. Tank at my feet and bentley closer to me. My cat sometimes will jump up too,lol.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
My dog is sleeping on our bed right now. However, when we go to bed he will have to leave the room, because he barks and runs in his sleep. I don't see a problem with others letting the dog sleep in bed. However, I suggest that you make the pup sleep by himself every day or so, so that he doesn't learn that he is 'entitled' to sleep in your bed, only privileged, when you want...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was debating this too with my pup. I basically live in my room. I eat, sleep, read, use the computer, and work from my bed. My dog is with me 24/7. I decided that I was going to allow her on the bed. The only time she isn't allowed on the bed is when she's being a brat (biting or being to restless) or when I'm eating.

I brought this up with my vet and my trainer and both told me this was fine. The only concern they had was if the dog ever becomes possessive, shows aggression, gets a flea infestation, or pees on the bed. So far none of these have been an issue. I also think it helps with bonding and I just plain love having her next to me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Brittany and Bello sleep on the bed (luckily Bello normally jumps off after about an hour and sleeps on the floor the rest of the night). Just be aware, dogs seem to enjoy finding ways to take up ten times their normal body mass when sleeping. ;D

·
Registered
423 Posts
My dogs would come to bed with me after the husband got up. Baby, dogs, and cats actually. I don't call the big dog up on the bed anymore though because of her age, I don't want her to hurt herself jumping off.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I let PJ sleep in our bed. He doesn't mind if I push him over if he is hogging the bed. He is very attached to us, so he won't sleep anywhere else. He's a jug, so he isn't big. We don't mind it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts