Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,427 Posts
Have you had him to the vet? It is kind of unusual for an 8 week old puppy to not want to play with you and not want to explore...I mean, some puppies can be that way, especially when they are new to the home, and they do sleep 20+ hours a day when they are that young, but completely disinterested is kind of strange. Where did this puppy come from? Does he eat and drink normally?

As for the whining, that is normal. It goes away after a while. At 8 weeks old, I would suggest a potty break halfway through the night, as their little bladders can't hold it that long.

Do you have a divider in the crate to make it smaller so he can't pee on one side and then lay down on the other? You don't want the pup peeing in his crate. Instead, attach an x-pen to the crate so he can have a space outside of the crate to potty when you are gone at work. Put potty pads down on the floor. The puppy will not be able to hold it for 7.5 hours yet, so he needs to have another option, otherwise you may have a crate-soiler. When he is older (say around 6-9 months) he will probably be able to hold it for a full work day. When the pup is fully potty trained, he can have the whole crate, too.

Puppies can go for walks and start on leash training! You can start in your yard, provided you know no unvaccinated dogs have been there. At 8 weeks, your pup probably hasn't finished his vaccinations yet, so going for walks in public spaces isn't a good idea, but you can still go to 'safe' places where risk of infection is minimal. You can start a puppy obedience class (provided all dogs are vaccinated, of course). You can work on leash training in your house.

·
Super Moderator
3,427 Posts
I did take him to the vet. He said everything was fine; hydrated and all labs normal. He is drinking and eating his kibble fine. The vet and I both agreed this could all very well be part of him being separated from mom, 7 siblings, and 2 adult dogs. Today he actually came to me and curled up on my lap.
I have been getting up mid night and taking him out to pee every night. I take him out every 3-4 hours during the day, as well as first thing in the morning and just prior to me going to bed.
He is slowly becoming more interested in the world around him. I am trying to find a treat he likes then I'll dive into training him.

As for the crate divider, do you know where I can find one? I bought a crate that would be big enough for him full grown. I thought about getting a small one, but didn't want to have to end up buying two; one for puppy and one for full grown dog. The crate I have is sized for an adult Great Dane. Here is a link to the crate I bought. https://www.chewy.com/frisco-xx-large-heavy-duty-double/dp/125054
Usually crates come with one. Sure it wasn't in the box? You can probably find a replacement on Amazon or Chewy or something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts