Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a kicksled and it gets used a LOT. I go for short rides almost daily to empty my dog of its endless energy and he adores it.

The woods are not a good place to sled and the snowmobile tracks are illegal (and not really safe). I usually just sled on the side of the street with my dog. Since we live on a small cape, it's not easy. Basically, he runs down the hills like a madman (I love the adrenaline rush), I help him out on straight paths and I get off the sled to climb the hills back up.

Lately, I've been wanting to add another dog to our experiences. It'd be easier for Dexter to climb the hills while I'm on the sled and I think it'd just be more fun.

What should I seek for in the other dog? I might have found her already. She's a dog in town and the owners would be glad to lend her to me for rides once in a while. She's a female husky. Dexter and Shuk got dogsat at the same place for 4 days last year and they apparently LOVED each other and stayed at each other sign all weekend. Other than that, they rarely have contacts though. And Shuk never sled.

And how should I introduce Shuk to the concept? Ride alone with her first or let my dog teach her? Walk them together first to make sure they still get along?

Any advice, basically?

·
Registered
35 Posts
A husky sounds perfect! Not all huskies have pull drive though.

I would just see what Shuk thinks of the sled first. Just walk them by the sled and see what they do. If they're cool with it, move to you moving the sled and see their reaction. If all is well, try hooking them up and seeing how they deal with it. It all depends on the dog really. How fast you go. Some dogs are just cool with it and are more than willing to just jump right in. Some dogs aren't comfortable with the sled, but love the running. And some dogs just don't enjoy it.

I rolleblade with 2 dogs. My older guy used to pull me, and it was a blast. He's too old for that now, but man did I love it. I still bike with my other dog. He was timid with the bike...still is a bit, but loves the run, so all is good.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I barely had to teach anything to my own dog. In about 45 minutes, he had picked it up. I know Shuk runs a LOT, but she's never been on a sled. Maybe I should tie my own dog on the sled and go walk Shuk next to him? Could be a good way to see her reaction to the sled and to Dexter?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
You're supposed to condition/desensitize them to pulling something. Basically - every Husky has the drive to run/pull. Some is just stronger than others - obviously.

She'll probably really love it - but the thing that scares most dogs more often than not is having something behind them-"chasing" them.

Ideally you'd start them out when they're young just dragging something behind them to get them used to the idea of something "chasing" them - desensitizing them to it so it won't incite fear.
I know the way they used to train is they'd start them at around 2 months and they'd tie a plank of wood behind the pup and let them walk around with it. xD

As for getting her started now I'd probably hook her up to it and just see how she does - no pulling/moving the sled. See how comfortable she is in harness hooked up to it. Then move onto moving.

Then introduce Dexter into the mix after she's comfortable with the sled because she has to learn to be comfortable with him as well. But more importantly the sled first.

At least that's what I -think-. I don't sled :). I have a hook up for Bella to pull the bike - but her drive is insane. So it worked out well. I'll start her on something for the snow this winter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts