Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is kind of weird (but yall should expect this kind of wackiness from me:p)

but I sat down I made a list of lists.

breeds I think are really cute and adorable:

American Pit Bull Terrier
Rottweiler
Belgian Malinois
Doberman Pinscher
Tosa Inu
American Bulldog

breeds I think are really tough looking

Patterdale Terrier
Jack Russell
Schipperke
Basenji

is it just me ? am I dyslexic in this regard? :confused: this are absolutly honest. little terriers and schipperke and basenjis look like tough, hard as nails dudes...pits, rotts and the like just look like big goofy butts to me...

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
lol....looks wise i'd strongly disagree with ya on this,actually knowing a few patterdales i'd have to put them in the category of most *bring it the f%&$ on* breed i know..they are fearless dogs but just dont look it to me.

The others you mention dont at all look agressive to me,aside from the JRT,i learned along time ago not to mistake them for small friends of mine!

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I'm somewhat with you Pooch but maybe a little with Zim.

When it comes to APBTs some look soft or sweet but others do have a "look" that maybe is like tough looking or very strong looks physically which makes them appear intimidating.

None of those small dogs to me look tough though. Maybe Schipperke and other small spitz types can look evil from time to time.

Dobie's I like as a breed but are not beefy enough, I think they look serious though!!
Rotts to me are cute looking dogs, not tough or scary looking.
Tosa Inu very cute or very ugly depends on the dog.
American Bulldog they have that "tough" look too although many are cute. I still see them with a tough look, just like the english bulldog, many think of that to symbolize "tough" or the like.
Belgians to me are a pretty dog BUT ALSO wicked looking all at the same time. Same goes for Dutch Shepherds for me.

to me boerboels look like "goofy butts" most the time

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Although I definitely know about their temperament, Jack Russels don't *look* intimidating to me.

I do have to agree that I think APBT, Rotties, and the English and American Bulldogs are ADORABLE!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would agree with you based on knowing these dog's personalities, but not really about looks....I find Rotties, Dobes, APBT and Shepherds to be absolutely adorable but that's because I know first hand how sweet they really are and so their looks are endearing to me. To a person who doesn't know the breeds, I can't imagine that they would feel that way, as they all look very tough. The JRT's and Schipperke's that I've met and seen pics of, I don't think that they look intimidating at all, lol. I've never met a Patterdale before, but in pictures, they don't appear to be all that intimidating, but more so than JRTs.

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I'm somewhat with you Pooch but maybe a little with Zim.
Yes Spicy,i guess it depends on the person and what shakes them *scare wise*..only one dog ive ever been wary of and thats Aslans mum,i'd rather not be in the same room as her

I do have to agree that I think APBT, Rotties, and the English and American Bulldogs are ADORABLE!
Equinox...well of course...some of the best dogs in the world you quoted there ;)

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I would agree with you based on knowing these dog's personalities, but not really about looks....I find Rotties, Dobes, APBT and Shepherds to be absolutely adorable but that's because I know first hand how sweet they really are and so their looks are endearing to me. To a person who doesn't know the breeds, I can't imagine that they would feel that way, as they all look very tough. The JRT's and Schipperke's that I've met and seen pics of, I don't think that they look intimidating at all, lol. I've never met a Patterdale before, but in pictures, they don't appear to be all that intimidating, but more so than JRTs.
Yes but that really all depends on the dog. Also if they have a preconceived negative towards them. I agree some Pits just look intimidating they can't help how they physically look. On the other hand I've had many people say how cute mine are, they did not know they were the dreaded Pit Bulls. So they didn't see oh its a Pit Bull scary looking. Some are very surprised once they find out they are Pits and continue to pet them saying how adorable, cute, beautiful and sweet/friendly they are. A few others, go to the closed minded paranoid view.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think...after more introspection....

its a mind influencing matter kind of thing.

traditionally "scary" breeds don't look scary to me perhaps because I've known too many of them to be big goofheads...

Patterdales on the other hand(they sure are a "bring it the #@*!! on!" kinda of dog) and JRT are tough little boogers...watching one of those little terriers go to ground and go face to face, head to head with coons and BADGERS for chrissakes in hunts makes quite an impression.

Schipperkes just look like tough lil' boogers...and with Basenjis I think its the voice...its eerie...

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
The only breed that I find genuinely scary-looking are huskies - and I LOVE huskies.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yes but that really all depends on the dog. Also if they have a preconceived negative towards them. I agree some Pits just look intimidating they can't help how they physically look. On the other hand I've had many people say how cute mine are, they did not know they were the dreaded Pit Bulls. So they didn't see oh its a Pit Bull scary looking. Some are very surprised once they find out they are Pits and continue to pet them saying how adorable, cute, beautiful and sweet/friendly they are. A few others, go to the closed minded paranoid view.
Yeah, this is true. I work in a pet supplies store and we have people bring Pits in and I've seen other customers all but run the other direction when they find out the breed and others love up on them. I love Pits and I make sure I say hi to them as well, but I've noticed (and so have the customers) that even some of our employees will never give the Pits a treat, but they will give one to every Lab or Golden that walks in the door. Gotta tell ya, though, I've never had my hand almost bitten off by a Pit, but I had bruises from a Lab after the owner insisted that I give the dog a treat :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Its strange Zim brought this topic up.

Ive never been afraid or wary of *any particular* breed.

Yesterday i went to check my mate who has Aslans mum & brother,he has a gated off front door and i refused to enter till the mum was put away secure...i aint seen here for a while but whilst i walked into the living room i had to look back...she has that look about her that im not feeling,very unpredictable....so breeds,no,i no of none that intimidate me only certain dogs,a GSD i know of has the same effect on me,its not a scared thing just a *i'd rather avoid BS* thing

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
The only breed that I find genuinely scary-looking are huskies - and I LOVE huskies.
I think it's the way they stare at you without barking or wagging their tails. Eerie.

I've met some tough-looking dogs of many different breeds (no Shih Tzus, though! They can't look tough if they try), and it doesn't seem to be confined to any particular breeds. Darker dogs do tend to look more intimidating. I also find most Rotts to be big baby-faces. But maybe that's just because of my big moosh.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Yeah, this is true. I work in a pet supplies store and we have people bring Pits in and I've seen other customers all but run the other direction when they find out the breed and others love up on them. I love Pits and I make sure I say hi to them as well, but I've noticed (and so have the customers) that even some of our employees will never give the Pits a treat, but they will give one to every Lab or Golden that walks in the door. Gotta tell ya, though, I've never had my hand almost bitten off by a Pit, but I had bruises from a Lab after the owner insisted that I give the dog a treat :rolleyes:
I'm glad so far not to face that type of discrimination. Everyone everywhere always wants to treat my dogs.

I know what you mean though. Its all in perception. If you know JRT can be tenacious and/or have had a bad experience you might think they look tough or scary.

If you see a cute dog wagging their tail and don't know its an evil Pit Bull then it just looks like a normal friendly dog.

Or if you know it's an APBT and love them you of course wouldn't think they look scary at all.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
The ONLY two dogs I have come to really dislike due to their aggressive behavior are a Dachshund and a JRT. I carry a stick walking past the house with these two dogs. They will come out and try to bite my dog.

Honestly.. I work VERY hard to be sure Atka is NOT dog aggressive.. but if this dog were my LAST dog, I think there might just be one less Doxie and one less JRT in the world. Kazi would do as I told, but I might just "forget" on these two dogs!

I am sure they exist but I have yet to meet a Rottie or a Pit that has instilled fear in me.

Quite honestly, I don't fear animals. They don't lie about their intentions. People OTOH..

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I agree with Zim... more little dogs are the "scary" ones. I'd be afraid of chihuahua's if my mom didn't have one. I think Poms are another scary breed.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Akitas for me as far as tough breeds go. They're stunning animals but they always exude power. I don't think they're scary, just a dog that seems to demand your utmost respect.

·
Registered
347 Posts
When it comes to APBTs some look soft or sweet but others do have a "look" that maybe is like tough looking or very strong looks physically which makes them appear intimidating.
Some individual dogs definitely look scary. I love pits (I have a pit mix), but my next door neighbor's dog Dozer scares the hell out of me — especially when walking my dog. I have no doubts that he would try to tear my dog to death if the fence was left open. I wouldn't be shocked if he tried to bite me, either. He's not a well-balanced dog.

There's a pretty nasty dalmation a few blocks away that I try to avoid.

But, all that said, I also see several very friendly pits and a dalmation that often runs off-leash next to his owner. He's amazingly well trained. So I wouldn't damn either breed, just those specific dogs.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I dont' look at a dobe, rottie or Mal and think "cute and adorable" - powerful, graceful, formidable, strong, regal, intense, capable...these are things that come to mind, but not necessarily cute and adorable (talking about a dog that is in a stacked or alert position....you put the same dog on it's back with a stuffie in it's mouth and of course a different feeling is conveyed).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts