Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the tree I made for Skittles! I used ash branches, which I sanitized and let dry out. I used 3 long screws to screw it onto the base, but otherwise everything is tied together with natural rope (I think cotton). I also need to make some more toys to hang on it, I'm working on it! Skittles loves it though!

Geez, it's so big I can't even get a picture of the whole thing! :biggrin1: We've had to sacrifice a little bit of the space in our living room...

Here is Skittles enjoying his tree!

Sorry the pictures are so blurry!

Skittles REALLY needed an upgrade from his super tiny tabletop play gym!!

I was planning on making a PVC pipe play gym for him, but the wooden one was much cheaper, it's way easier for Skittles to walk on than PVC pipe, and IMO it looks so much nicer! So I'm pretty happy with it!

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Wow, that is so cool!!!! Great job, it looks awesome! :D

·
Registered
653 Posts
That looks awesome! I bet Skittles loves it. It looks much nicer than a pvc one would, I think.

I wonder if I could take this same idea and use it to make a cat tree? How did you sanitize the branches?

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! He really does love it! Especially since it's really easy to for him to climb down to the floor when he wants to and climb back up it when he's done. He's fully flighted and is an excellent flyer but he STILL likes to walk around on the floor, lol!

That looks awesome! I bet Skittles loves it. It looks much nicer than a pvc one would, I think.

I wonder if I could take this same idea and use it to make a cat tree? How did you sanitize the branches?
I bet the cat tree would look really cool! Would you make little platforms or can cats sit on the branches?

To sanitize the branches, I stick them in the tub with hot water and bleach. Let them soak until they're saturated, then rinse them off with the shower or soak them again in clean water until they're no longer bleach-y. Then leave them out to dry, which takes several days. If you use smaller branches, though, you can heat them up in your oven: hot enough to kill any critters, but not so hot that you catch the wood on fire! This method is quicker because you don't have to wait days and days for your branches to dry. The ones I used were way too big to fit in my oven, though!

The tree is cool! Is this Skittles Christmas tree? :)
Oohhh!! I should make little bird safe Christmas tree ornaments/toys to hang on his tree! That would be adorable!! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
When you decorate Skittles Christmas tree........be sure to post a pic! :) I bet Skittles will enjoy it!

·
Registered
653 Posts
I bet the cat tree would look really cool! Would you make little platforms or can cats sit on the branches?
I'd prolly make some round platforms covered in carpet remnants but if the branches were thick and flattish enough I think they could lay on them, after all they squeeze themselves on the windowsills.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be sure to post pictures when I decorate Skittles' "Christmas tree" hehe :biggrin1:

I'd prolly make some round platforms covered in carpet remnants but if the branches were thick and flattish enough I think they could lay on them, after all they squeeze themselves on the windowsills.
That sounds like it will work out great! Just be sure when you're building your cat tree, fasten the branches together some way that is sturdier than simply tying them together, for instance screwing them together. I didn't screw the branches together on Skittles' tree because a lot of screws have metals that are toxic to parrots. The cotton rope is plenty sturdy for Skittles, who only weighs like 2-3 oz. I don't think it would be very stable for a cat though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts