Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I am a new owner of an English Mastiff. He turned 4 months old last Sunday. I don't know how much he weighs - I'm going to guess in the 50's.
He is tall and skinny. He doesn't want to eat his food. I have tried Purina One, Purina Pro Plan, Eukanuba. I have tried enticing it with: canned dog food, parmesan cheese, bacon grease, yogurt, peanut butter. I have tried softening it, we have tried heating it or adding warm canned food to it. I feel like we have tried all we can to make him want to eat his food. He will graze on it, but he doesn't eat very much at one sitting. I have even tried hand feeding it to him. He only eats a very small amount and then he walks away. He is growing and is still going potty so I know he is eating, but goodnes. Maybe I was just expecting him to eat more because of his size. He doesn't even eat one cup at a sitting. We have tried giving it to him twice a day and putting it up, doesn't matter. He still only eats very little at one time. We have started leaving it available to him while we are at home and awake. You can't see his ribs, but he's just so skinny and goofy looking.
Does anyone have any suggestions one what I can do to help him gain some weight? I don't mean a massive amount, I know you don't want them to gain to quickly during their first years because of their bones and joints, but I do not think he looks like he is a healthy weight.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What he needs is a good quality large / giant breed puppy formula ( Royal Canin makes a Giant breed puppy, and Innova and Eagle pack both make large breed puppy formulas which are great)

He also needs to be fed scheduled meals, without the food being left down.

Put the bowl down with nothing but his kibble portion. Offer him three minutes to eat. If he does not eat, pick it up and fast him until his next meal.

At his next meal offer him the same usual portion size again.

Continue this 'tough love' until he starts to eat his food better. Dogs are psychologically meant to eat everything that's in front of them. An unbalanced dog will become picky, as will a spoiled dog. I would assume this is a little bit of both.

Ensure he's being treated like a dog (walked, played with, loved, but not spoiled with treats and bones) and that you're not dressing his food.

He will come out of it, and will only revert to being picky if you start catering to him again.

If he doesn't eat for more than 3 days take him to the vet to ensure that there are no underlying health problems (an abcessed baby tooth that isn't making room for the adult one underneath etc...)

Good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts