Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am working on Sasha's diet to improve her dry, itchy skin. I need ideas on what to use on her outside. I'm rubbing olive oil on her (and putting it on her food, too, since fish seems to be a problem). Is there anything better that's also edible?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you tried just bathing her less? Our puppy was getting dry itchy skin, and the vet said we were probably just bathing her too often (at the time we were bathing her twice a week or so). That was a couple weeks ago, and since then we haven't bathed her, and she seems a lot better (less itchy and less dry, flaky skin).

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a lhaso with skin and ear issues. Here is what I do:
I add 2 or 3 fish oil pills (cut and pour onto food) to her food and she loves it.
I bathe her once per week using an antifungal vet prescribed shampoo.
I give her a quick alcohol wipe before and sometimes after a long, high octance outing in the woods.

It has made a tremendous difference. I also need to clean her ears every 3 or so days.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Embeded, thank you. Sasha cannot have fish oil. That is an allergy that is being ruled out. I do clean her ears routinely, although they aren't much of a problem. Itching all over is the problem.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When I gave Chloe a bath last time she had been itching pretty good beforehand. I mixed in about a teaspoon of Skin So Soft into the shampoo (not flea shampoo just regular) and she feels amazing and hasn't been nearly as itchy!! Our Catahoula has had some dandruff issues as well and the same thing cleared that up like a charm. You can also mix it in a 1:4 ratio (SSS:water) in a little spray bottle and spritz her. Its nontoxic, and the sent last a long time so she'll smell good too!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts