Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I noticed this... cut? Scab? Welt? On my 8-month old's rear leg. A few inches above it is an area of sparser-than-normal fur.

Scrape:

Sparse fur:

Is this a scrape from some overzealous ball chasing, or something I should be concerned about?

I haven't noticed her scratching the affected area, nor any other changes in her behavior or health.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hmmmm, it looks so much like a hot spot from licking. I had a long term foster years ago (a sorta shepard golden mix) that would get hot spots and they looked just like those. But you haven't noticed any licking or chewing right?

The only other thing I can think of is if she got into a plant known to be a skin irritant. If its not infected or oozing, keep it clean and give it a couple days with triple antibiotic ointment (since it seems like its in a spot that could get bacteria into it.) That way you can see if it heals or if it is something being aggravated. Might help you figure out what it is. If it clears up within a week than it probably was just a scrape. Any discharge, oozing,foul smell though I'd take her into the vet and get a short course of simplecef.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts