Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Obviously I don't think it IS an emergency, or I wouldn't be here asking this. I'm just wondering if these symptoms sound familiar to anyone and if the situation should be monitored or taken to the vet ASAP.

Earlier today I spotted a dog hair tumbleweed on the floor, but I ignored it for the moment because I was doing something else. Just now I saw something sticking to Alvin's neck fur, so I reached out to brush it off and came away with a clump of hair...attached to skin.

Now, it wasn't like pink, bleeding skin. It was more like gray, scabby skin. Maybe even just a scab. But pretty thick and with hair firmly attached. I thought of the tumbleweed from earlier, tracked it down, and discovered it was the same thing. Chunk of scabby skin and fur.

For this next part to make sense, you have to know that Alvin has a pretty hefty scar from an embedded collar sort of low on the back of his neck. It is covered by the surrounding hair, but no fur grows on the scar itself. After finding this second chunk of scabbiness, I did an inspection of his neck and found a patch of this stuff around his scar. It's small and doesn't seem to pain him. I brushed a couple pieces off easily, then tugged gently on one. It came away, but left a little blood behind. Obviously I won't do that anymore, although it didn't bother Alvin in the least.

So, to recap...my dog has a couple smallish patches of what appears to be thick, scabby, gray skin hanging around the edges of his scar. The scabs seem to fall of fairly readily. Alvin does not appear to be in pain. He has not been scratching excessively and he is not running a fever. He is eating, drinking, and eliminating normally.

Does this sound like it requires medical attention before tomorrow after work? Should I just keep an eye on it? Should I wash it with a little soap and water? Antibiotic ointment?

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Since there is significant scar involved I think I would have my vet look at it. I wouldn't bath until your dog has seen the vet.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
FB, I agree with ACM. I wouldn't consider it an emergency, but I would want it looked at.

BTW, a little OT but how's Alvin settling in?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know when the collar was removed, as the wound had completely healed (as in firm and white, rather than pink and spongy) by the time Alvin came to me. Given that fact and the age a collar is mostly likely to be embedded (as the dog grows from puppy to adult without the collar being adjusted), though, I would guess it happened 5+ years ago.

I'm not even sure that the fact that this skin weirdness is occuring near the scar is significant. I DO think that it's location is pretty much the only reason I noticed...the size and severity of the condition is minor enough that I wouldn't have seen it if it were better hidden in hair.

Frankly, it looks like a sever cut or scrape. The reason it upset me so is that I can't figure out how he could have been injured in that particular spot. Or at all, for that matter. He spends most of his days sleeping...not much room for cuts and scrapes in that activity.

I'm going to just watch it today. It sounds like the general consensus is that it isn't serious enough for me to take off work. I'll keep you posted.

Reno, thanks so much for asking! Alvin and I are both doing much better. He will walk on all the floors now and he enjoys sniffing around and peeing on things in his yard. I wish his leg were in better shape, because I'd like to do more with him when I get in from work every day, but he can't handle more than a walk around the block or maybe a couple throws of the ball in the yard. I use his Buster Cube for breakfast, usually, so I know that keeps him occupied for at least a few minutes right when I leave.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
FB, glad to hear Alvin's doing better in the new house. He just needed some time.. :D

Let us know what the vet says.

·
Registered
296 Posts
i'd make an appointment for a skin scraping to figure out what the heck is causing the symptoms. you'd hate it if it were contagious to humans!

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good lord...couldn't get an appointment with the vet until TUESDAY! This is very rare...usually she gets me right in. I may have sabotaged myself by saying it wasn't an emergency, but I didn't expect to have to wait quite so long as a result.

At any rate, I'm keeping a close eye on it over the weekend. If it changes in any way, I'll take Alvin to the emergency vet. Otherwise, Tuesday it is.

And I'm washing my hands A LOT, lol!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts