Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I had no idea Skidboot had passed.
I remember watching him on PetStar when I was little, and I just randomly started thinking about him again today.
I dunno, knowing that he's gone feels almost like losing one of my own.

I think what he accomplished, considering that he started out being destructive, under-stimulated, goes to show that a lot of the problems people face with their dogs can be easily fixed with some effort.

So, how many of you have heard of him?

-not looking for any 'oh it's just good training' 'any dog can do it' or likewise negativity here. please don't post it-

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I have, I loved skidboot, he was featured on tx country reporter also (you guys can do a YouTube search for it & view his segment. It really shows not only what he could do but the relationship btw Jim & the man who owned him) it makes me sad now bc it was very similar to mine & Izze's relationship :(

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I wouldn't say all dogs could do it, but I do believe it's typical of the ACD, and with enough time and dedication, a lot more Heelers could do the things Skidboot did. After having Ma'ii for 8 months, and seeing how fast he learns things and watching the wheels in his head turn, and how much he WANTS to use his head, I actually really think he's very capable of learning some if not all the things Skidboot knew.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
he was featured on tx country reporter also (you guys can do a YouTube search for it & view his segment. It really shows not only what he could do but the relationship btw Jim & the man who owned him)
Ya know, I included that video...
It showed up at first. No idea why it's not there now >_>

~~~
Op, there it is.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
i know when i first posted i didnt see it which is why i mentioned it LOL... technology is a fickle thing i suppose. this is absolutely NOT 'just' good dog training (tho of course that does play a role) i will say that many good trainers could teach a dog to do these behaviors but its not the behaviors that matter...... its WHY he is doing them & WHAT motivates him that im talking about here. other dogs might do it for a treat, but a (good) ACD will do it because he LOVES you not JUST because you have a treat... tho he would appreciate a tidbit :). being loved by a cattle dog............................................ its a wonderful experience i will say that, i love the look in skidboot's eyes when he looked at his master, it makes tears come to my eyes :')

1 - 6 of 6 Posts