Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
823 Posts
That is so cool. I hope it continues and works out. I wish Ohio would get on board :( .

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
What is the problem with CO as a euthanizing agent; or is specifically the conditions in the chambers? I can think of lots worse ways to go than CO asphyxiation.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
That is great..

Years back some States used Decompression Chambers. Horrible things. Do ANY States still use them or have they been banned altogether (I hope)?

CO is a bad end. I have seen those ends first hand.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
What is the problem with CO as a euthanizing agent; or is specifically the conditions in the chambers? I can think of lots worse ways to go than CO asphyxiation.
its both.

the conditions are pretty awful...and then there is the fact that often the animals must be gassed multiple times which causes great fear and distress. I watched one. it was awful. I couldn't stand it and I punched the guy right then and there on a reflex..

·
Registered
343 Posts
Years back some States used Decompression Chambers. Horrible things.
Hearing about this stuff makes me sick to my stomach. I hate it that any animals have to suffer. Their only crime is being born.

Dare I ask...what is a decompression chamber? (gulp)

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
You might be thinking of CO, carbon monoxide. That's fairly painless.....people die in their houses of CO poisoning all the time without knowing what hit them. CO2---carbon DIoxide, is pure suffocation. Like putting a pillow over their faces. That's usually what's used in shelters. I don't know why they don't use carbon monoxide. Maybe it's hard to get in pure form.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Actually you have this wrong.

CO is carbon Monoxide. What happens when you breath it is that the CO molecule becomes permanently bonded to the hemoglobin. As it circulates thru the body it cannot pick up waste (CO2) and when it gets to the lung it cannot dump the CO2 and then pick up an Oxygen molecule (O2)to deliver to the rest of the body. The blood eventually has no ability to retrieve CO2 OR pick up O2 and the mammal dies. The skin turns bright red during the process and horrific Headaches can be part of this. CO headaches are legendary among mechanics in poorly ventilated shops. My Dad was a mechanic and used to get them. He now has alzheimers and no one in his family ever did (they lived long too). I wonder if there is a link of any kind.

CO2 is carbon Dioxide. With the catalytic converter, cars no longer emit CO out of the tail pipe, but CO2. If there is an excess of CO2 and no O2 when the blood circulates thru the lungs it cannot dump the CO2 and replace it with an O2 molecule.

If you use CO2 to "gas" an animal it is like putting your head in a plastic bag and sealing it.. you eventually run out of O2 and the hemoglobin cannot pick up any O2 and so you die.

Neither way is very pleasant. CO and CO2 are both odorless gasses unless the CO is produced by an internal combustion engine without a catalytic converter.. then you get the odor of combustion waste in with the CO.

A decompression chamber is a sealed chamber that you remove the air from. It is similar to taking you way up high in a the atmosphere with no pressurized suit or cabin. My understanding is that the blood will actually "boil" as the gasses in it come out when the air is removed and replaced (not a very good word) with the nothing of a vaccuum. It is reported to be horrible painful.

PS: For almost ANY way to die there is some worse way that humans have come up with. When it comes to animals who rely on us to care for them, it is our responsibility to make any passing as easy as possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts