Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago my dog (3 year old, German Shepard Pedigree) was chasing one of our cats around the backyard when he hit his head pretty bad and since then has had fits, he's now been diagnosed as epileptic and on Phenobarb.
He would always sit and lie down when you told him, never growled at anyone in the house (always cautious but never aggressive) and although he pulled when he was let of his leader he would never go far or always walk by your side when he was off it.
But since his epilepsy he's less responsive, is becoming more aggressive towards anyone who comes to the house but never the family and his walking has got so bad its practically impossible to take him for walks.
He's a pretty big and active dog and I was wondering if anyone knows of anything I can do with him to help get him back to his old state.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Is your vet aware of the differences in behavior. My guess is there is more going on than epilepsy.
All I can suggest aside from going to the vet is training, take it easy, be positive about it. Who knows, you might have to go back to the beginning for some stuff, he's nervous about stuff while out walking and when people come to the house most likely, so treat it like a situation of fear, desensitize slowly and carefully. Has he shown evidence of vision problems? I knew a cat that was a sweetie but got very aggressive when he started going blind, the vet said it was because he didn't know if what he was sort of seeing was a threat or not. That's all the input I can give. You really should take him to the vet again!

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Yeah, you might raise the issue with the Vet (or a professor of neurophysiology) because it sounds like brain damage that resulted in both epilepsy and behavioral issues.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Phenobarb is a very strong drug and can effect a dog in bad ways most of the time it will make a dog numb and less reactive or even lazy. Every time a dogs has a seizure it kills brain cells and will cause a dog to become an unhappy blob or even fearful.

The fact your dog is becoming aggressive make me thing he is not feeling well and might be losing him mind a little. Epilepsy is not easy on anyone. We had an epileptic dog it slowly killed our dog till his brain was just done.

I am very sorry about your dog this is not any easy thing to deal with. Dogs that turn aggressive are often in pain or the mind is going.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts