Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just brought home a 8 month old female boxer last week and have a few simple questions in regards to training.

I went out and tried to mow my yard with a lawn tractor and my boxer just runs around the tractor as its moving. She tries to bite the tires, and just thinks this must be some type of new toy for her. My last boxer knew enough to stay away and just let the mower go by her. I have tried to use a spray bottle of water and vinegar to spray her when she would get to close and tell her to stay, but seeing that this is all new to her she just licks the water and vinegar off and keeps running around. I am afraid she will get hurt so I need to stop this as soon as possible.

The other question I have is that I am trying to teach her to sit and stay, and reward her with a treat is she obeys the command. She only seams to pay attention about 50% of the time, the rest of the time she refuses to listen. I have been trying to teach her just this command for about 1 week, will she ever learn? She is also leaning to go outside to got the bathroom, plus staying in her cage alone. Am I trying to teach her to much at one time?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You're on the right track with the training....teach as much as possible, as soon as possible. Don't worry about the 50/50 success rate as everything is new to her. Use really good treats for better results...Spam, cheese cubes, sliced hot dogs....very small pieces.
The tractor is another story though. For her own safety confine her.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I'm not sure about the tractor either - hopefully someone else will have good advice. Otherwise I agree with Tooney - confine her for her safety until you can find a method that works.

For the sit/stay, try decreasing your criteria. Asking for too much too soon is one of the most common training problems.

I would tell her "sit", lure her into the sit position if she doesn't do it automatically (little piece of treat in your hand, raise it up above her nose so her butt drops to the floor). Tell her "yes" as soon as her butt hits the floor and give her the piece of treat. Then right away say "stay" and put your hand out, palm toward her. Don't wait long - like 1 or 2 seconds at first - then say "yes" and give her another treat. Then work up from there, increasing (one at a time) distance (between you and her), distractions, and duration (length of time in the stay). Slowly wean off the treats once she is getting the hang of it.

I'm not sure how much you know about training but using a "marker" (like the word "yes") helps mark the exact moment the dog has done what you want. It helps with training because it allows the dog to learn exactly what they are being rewarded for. Timing is very important.

It is also good to use a "release" word (I say "okay") to let the dog know that they have completed whatever task it is you are asking them to do. For example, during a stay I will go back to my dogs periodically and give them a treat, say "yes" or "good stay" and then walk away again. This reinforces the stay but doesn't release them from the behavior. They don't get up until I say "okay!"

Good luck! Keep at it - I don't think you are trying to teach too much all at once. It just takes time and patience. They have good days and bad days just like we do! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts