Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we were out at the off leash walking trail last night and we met a couple with one of the most adorable puppies i have ever seen. he looked like a weimarnaner, with the silver/greenish eyes and all, but with a full tail, coarser/longer fur on his back, and his feet weren't as bony as a weim. i asked if he was a weim and the woman said he was a silver lab, and that most people have never heard of them. i have not ever heard of a silver lab. weird.

my husband is so funny now, he never used to care one way or another about dogs and breeds and whatnot but he LOVES iorek and i guess all of my talking has started to sink in because when we walked away my husband said we never heard of a silver lab because he is actually a mutt :) that made me giggle a little because i see my views on breeding dogs for other reasons than bettering a dog rubbing off.

we don't know if silver labs are mutts or not. i am curious. i looked up the standards for a lab and they list only black, yellow, and chocolate.

what are your opinions?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Never heard of a silver lab, but I would imagine it's the result of two diluted blacks?
I've never seen a black lab that wasn't pitch black though, so who knows....obviously not me :p

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Silver Labs are just another one of those 'rare' dogs that BYBs and the like try to scam people with. It's not actually a legit color in the breed...though the controversy is pretty ongoing.

Here's some information on the whole thing -
http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/silverlabs.html

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
A lot of "silver labs" are Labs mixed with Weims and sold as Labs. I *think* there are some legit ones out there, but I'm not 100% sure.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
From what I can find they are purebred labs, but simply a color variation of the chocolate lab. Thus when registered they are registered as chocolate labs.

"In 1987 we conducted an inquiry into the breeding of the litters that contained the dogs that were registered as silver and one of our representatives was sent to observe several of the dogs that had been registered as silver. Color photographs of these dogs were forwarded to the office of the American Kennel Club where the staff of the AKC and the representative of the Labrador Retriever Club of America examined them. Both parties were satisfied that there was no reason to doubt that the dogs were purebred Labrador Retrievers, however both parties felt that the dogs were incorrectly registered as silver. Since the breed standard describes chocolate as ranging in shade from Sedge to Chocolate, it was felt that the dogs could more accurately be described as chocolate than as silver."

Written by Robert Young of the AKC 3/27/00

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
This is a silver lab on the search and rescue team i belong to. Her name is Nala and her mother and father were from great search and rescue lines.. Her mother was a chocolate and her father was black. It is rare to find these little darlings from what i was told and it only happens once in a great while. The breeder than Nala came from has been breeding dogs for 21 years and only has came across 7 in all that time.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Yes Silver can creep up in the Labrador gene pool. but they are becomming a "fad" color now and because of that many bad breeders are trying to make a buck by crossing labradors with wiems

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
They can be geneticaly legit and pop-up in a litter once every blue moon. But the rate at which these are being produced across the country there's about at 99.9% chance that your silver "Lab" is actually a mutt.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
A month ago, I never would have guessed saluki came in parti-colors....come to find out that they actually do. At one point, breeders decided they didn't like partis, so any parti puppies born were culled. Now, some has taken a fancy to the parti-color saluki so they aren't culling them anymore.

Just because a color isn't common, doesn't mean it's not legit or wrong...could just be an arbitraray decision made by the breeders at a certain point in the club history. Sometimes these decisions are made to help distinguish one breed from another.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Silver Labs (much like "White" or "Creme" Goldens) are the result of the breeders not necessarily focusing on the *look* of the lab. We see them come up once in a while at Guide Dogs of America, bu they're still fairly rare. Because GDA's focus isn't on the look, but on the temperment of dogs, they're totally fine with the silvers. We also occasionally get Black and Tan Labs (Labs with the coloring of a Rottweiler); Again, we don't really care that they're not the traditional lab color.

Silver Labs are legitimate if they're not being used for show or anything; they're still 100% purebred. (of course, as mentioned before, some people cross Weims with Labs to get it, so they're not *always* purebred) The only problem I see with silvers are that, because they come when people don't care about the looks, they also tend to come from breeders who don't really care about the health or temperment, so I would be careful about getting one.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Silver another messing up the Labrador like Labradoodle. They are not on uk KC reg. Just like the mix up with the black and tan Labrador trying to bring in as well. :(

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Salukis have come in parti color always- lots of beautiful ones are champions.

Even some of the early champions were. IE Pine Paddocks dogs :)

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Salukis have come in parti color always- lots of beautiful ones are champions.

Even some of the early champions were. IE Pine Paddocks dogs :)

I'm referring more to "blotchy" parti-colorations: http://www.saluki.sk/standard/standard e.htm

I've never seen one in person...several folks at a recent lure trial were surprised that saluki could come with "spots"...I guess that particular pattern is becoming more popular.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Silver another messing up the Labrador like Labradoodle. They are not on uk KC reg. Just like the mix up with the black and tan Labrador trying to bring in as well. :(
I'm afraid I disagree with you here. The Labradoodle is a mutt, and bred purposefully to appeal to the "fad" of designer dogs. The silver lab, and black and tan for that matter, are unintentionally bred (accidents; there's no way, unless of course you mix the lab with a Weimeraner, to guarantee any of these colors.) and generally sold for less by show-breeders because of this show-fault.

Just because something is considered a "fault" by AKC or other affiliations standards does not mean that it is less of that breed. My lab puppy, Carley, has a white spot on her two front paws. That is, by AKC standards, a fault. I don't count Carley as less of a purebred because of this, nor do I think GDA's breeding program is bad because they produce "faulty dogs." Their dogs are generally healthier and have better temperaments than the average lab, albeit less standardized appearance wise to the breed.

·
Banned
352 Posts
Guide Dogs for the Blind is not all that concerned with the "standardized appearance" either, just on the health aspects that would make a dog a good working Guide. Right now in our 4-H pup club, there are two purebred labs that have "mismarks" on them that would disqualify them according to AKC standards, but both look to be great working prospects. Both of my wifes Guides have been "standard" colors (one yellow, one black) and the pup we are raising is a standard yellow. But the color is the least concern when it comes to a working dog.

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Just because a color isn't common, doesn't mean it's not legit or wrong...could just be an arbitraray decision made by the breeders at a certain point in the club history. Sometimes these decisions are made to help distinguish one breed from another.
I'm not sure if you're referring to my post (or no post in general) but to clarify, I actually wasn't aware that a true Silver could pop up in Lab lines. It appears to be very very rare though. Which still leads me to say that the general 'silver lab' is a scam being pulled by your local BYB. Or really anyone that is using the tag line 'rare' to help sell their dogs.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
At our Agility class there is a solid black Airedale Terrier. He bought the dog in Alberta and says it is registered. As solid black is not a CKC or AKC color in Airedales, I am inclined to think it is registered with one of the Pet type registries, but could be wrong. Has anyone else ever seen a solid black Airedale?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.