Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm scrolling through the labs on this broker's website, and come across this puppy:

http://www.purebredbreeders.com/breed/labrador-retriever/274013/

Is it even possible that this is a Lab? I'm tempted to say a weim got in there somewhere, but can you really produce this poor of a breed example with two purebreds? I just can't figure out the head shape.

Anyone? Just curious as this is definitely one of the biggest stretches to lab i've seen. (keeping in mind that my 50 lb. black and white hound was also a "Lab mix" haha)

·
Registered
792 Posts
I don't really know anything about labs, but I think some of the "silver" ones can look Weim-ish in color while still being purebred. I can't speak on structure, or the color of this particular one, though.

·
Super Moderator
12,177 Posts
I believe that's a lamb or a Bedlington terrier. Recently shaved.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I've been seeing a little tiny silver lab puppy (about 10 weeks) at the dog park lately, and it does look like that. The owners swear it's a purebred lab. "Rex" looks a little more lab-ish, but I think maybe "Betsy" just has a case of funky puppy ears.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
looks like the "silver labs" I have met lol, I would call him(and them) a Weim X. I HAVE however met 1 actual silver lab, and he is as they should be a silver coloured LAB..a diluted colour does not magicly change their apperence to that of a Weim!

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe that's a lamb or a Bedlington terrier. Recently shaved.
I KNEW I was missing something. It's definitely the lamb... one of the hardest traits to pin down.

And the "silver" labs are just a dilute chocolate, but I was wondering more about the structure than the color. wvasko, you obviously dont understand quality when you see it :)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
And the "silver" labs are just a dilute chocolate, but I was wondering more about the structure than the color. wvasko, you obviously dont understand quality when you see it :)
If you have read any of my replies you know "I not brightest bulb in box"

I think actually it must be an Asian lamb, the eyes again.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I think Silver Labs are a cross of Lab and Weim. Aside from their coat color, looking at their eyes and ears and body structure, they do look like weim crosses.
Personally, I wouldn't pay for one. Papers don't mean a thing, I've come to learn. I know someone with an AKC registered "chaweenie"-and she's an OBVIOUS mix-. (she's registered as a pure chihuahua, when the breeder flat out admits the sire is a Dachshund)
As for the structure, if that's a lab it's got horrible conformation .-. Looking at that puppy with no information, Labrador would never have even crossed my mind.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
There are AKC registered 'silver' labs. From my understanding it is a dilute of some sort. It is a disqualified color.
And that is something the lab club hasn't really been happy about.

That puppy has a weird head for a weim, so its even weirder for a lab. I would say its mixed with weim some where in the ped. Every "silver lab" I have seen they scream weim influence.

"Silver labs" to my knowledge are something pretty recently occuring, which is why I am skeptical.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think Silver Labs are a cross of Lab and Weim. Aside from their coat color, looking at their eyes and ears and body structure, they do look like weim crosses.
Personally, I wouldn't pay for one. Papers don't mean a thing, I've come to learn. I know someone with an AKC registered "chaweenie"-and she's an OBVIOUS mix-. (she's registered as a pure chihuahua, when the breeder flat out admits the sire is a Dachshund)
As for the structure, if that's a lab it's got horrible conformation .-. Looking at that puppy with no information, Labrador would never have even crossed my mind.
I just REALLY want to see what the "parents" look like. Chaos, do you know if the silver coloring (at least in the Weim) is recessive or anything else genotypically significant? I haven't ever seen a "silver lab" breeder offer to DNA the parents or offspring, which makes me wonder.

*Nobody panic, I'm not going to buy the silver bedlington lambador.*

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If it were a Weim mix, wouldn't it have (much) larger ears? He looks too young to get a very good idea of structure but something does look extremely odd about his head shape.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
In theory silver labs are possible, but not at the rate that they are being produced. All of the pup's litter mates have that same wonky look. With the large variety in the quality and types of Labs who's to say if that wonky look is from a poor quality Lab parent or a mixed breeding.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I just REALLY want to see what the "parents" look like. Chaos, do you know if the silver coloring (at least in the Weim) is recessive or anything else genotypically significant? I haven't ever seen a "silver lab" breeder offer to DNA the parents or offspring, which makes me wonder.

*Nobody panic, I'm not going to buy the silver bedlington lambador.*
Snort! Oh come on, you could get in on the ground floor of the next big designer dog. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts