Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. First post here. My family adopted a rather adorable 4 months old puppy (Doberman). I went to store and got some puppy dog food puppy edition for large breed dogs. I also got the container to store the food in. The container came with the large plastic cup. The instructions on the food bag say to feed the dog about two cups three times per day. The idiotic question is - is it the cup measure used for food preparation, or the cup/bowl the container came with?
Again, I apologize for asking such a dumb question, but I have a hard time figuring it out.
Thank you in advance for your advice.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
The "cup" mentioned on the bag is a standard 8 fluid ounce measuring cup.

The scoop that came with the food container should say what its volume is (1 cup, 2 cups, etc.). If it doesn't, just get a set of measuring cups from the store an use them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you LeoRose. It is going to be a long few months with lots of silly questions...
The dog, Dante, is very sweet though. He is definitely worth it.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi folks. First post here. My family adopted a rather adorable 4 months old puppy (Doberman). I went to store and got some puppy dog food puppy edition for large breed dogs. I also got the container to store the food in. The container came with the large plastic cup. The instructions on the food bag say to feed the dog about two cups three times per day. The idiotic question is - is it the cup measure used for food preparation, or the cup/bowl the container came with?
Again, I apologize for asking such a dumb question, but I have a hard time figuring it out.
Thank you in advance for your advice.
Hi are you feeding pup 6 cups of food a day or the 2 cups divided into 3 meals

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
2cups three times a day. He seems to run for food and starts wolfing it down. Then takes mini breaks and goes back to the bowl after doing a round around the kitchen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2cups three times a day. He seems to run for food and starts wolfing it down. Then takes mini breaks and goes back to the bowl after doing a round around the kitchen.
Are you saying each meal is 2 cups, because 3 meals a day total of 6 cups seems excessive with a 4 month old pup ?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Please read the bag again. It likely indicates the DAILY amount of 2 cups.

Just break the daily amount into the number of feeding times to give you the amount per feeding.

Example: 2 cups per day, 3 feedings per day = 2/3 cup per feeding.

Overfeeding will generate an overweight dog. FWIW, most dogs are opportunistic eaters. they will eat anytime food is available.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I forgot to mention that this forum Doberman Talk Forums is a good source of information on all things Doberman. Some of the people can be.... opinionated... but the wealth of Doberman knowledge is immense, and freely offered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts