Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think Ollie might be going through silent heat cycle. Dusk has started giving her a great deal more attention than normal. And he started whining last night. When I let him out of my room to see if he wanted to go the bathroom he ran straight to her crate and started whining again.

She is a little swollen, but not near to the same level as when she is in heat. And there isn't any discharge. She keeps fending him off so she can have some space. I haven't started separating them since she's not swollen and she is so unresponsive. But maybe I should, even if it’s just for her sanity.

Given she might just be coming into her heat. But he's been acting weird for the past few days. If it is a silent heat can they still mate? And is she still fertile? And why would she not just have a regular heat cycle? I'm wondering if it could be to their diet change, I just put them on a raw diet. Also, Ollie is taking an obedience class right now. Is it wise for me take her to class if it’s a silent heat. We went last night since I hadn't considered this yet, and she didn't cause a disruption.

I will most likely call my breeder later today, but it is a little early and I don't want to wake her up with my questions.:eek:

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
A heat is a heat and yes, she would be fertile about midway through, so keep them separate until you know for sure what's going on!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
A heat is a heat and yes, she would be fertile about midway through, so keep them separate until you know for sure what's going on!
Yeah, I went ahead and seperated them this morning when they went out. But I don't want you to think I'm taking chances. She's barely if at all swollen, so it is physically impossible for them to bred as of right now. And I'm keeping on eye for any changes as well as ckecking her crate pad for discharge. And up until 7 am this moring I hadn't even considered a silent heat. I've been thinking that she must be coming into heat and Dusk is taking notice of that.

I'm going to go ahead and make a couple of calls now though, so I can get a better idea of what is going on.

Edited to add:

Ok I just talked to my dog show vet. LOL

She seems to think Ollie is probably coming into her heat and Dusk is just noticing it early. She mentioned silent heats can be due to thyroid problems, and Ollie doesn't have an issue with that.

But either way I should take precautions. But it is hard to schedule around a silent heat, since I have no idea when it actually started. So if it is silent I will mark the date as today. And that should give her enough time to come into a regular heat if she's going to.

I'm pottying them separately, and I will start to kennel her when I go to work. And I will keep a close watch on their loose together in the house. I tend to just keep them in a small area with me for the 1st and 3rd week of her heat. So I will do that now until her behavior changes. I just wish there was some way to know for sure if she was in heat. Ollie gets really lonely during her cycle.:p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts