Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Signs of Myiasis (maggots)

Note: this is a continuation thread to another post of mine titled is my dog sick? Or is this nothing?
Basically, my dogs have been acting a little off the past couple days which I want to assume it's because of the heat wave happening this week in LA and my apartment being very hot due to having no AC unit. However, the paranoid me wants to make sure it's not possibly something else.

Recap of basic symptoms they are showing:
Both dogs are:
Excessive panting and heavy breathing
A little restlessness and low energy (laying on floor a lot)
Licking/chewing paws and legs

Cameron's extra symptoms:
Slight dhiarea
Goopy eyes slightly irritated eyes (she seems unfazed by this)

Does anyone know much about the signs and symptoms for myiasis? I actually randomly heard a reference to this disease in a movie and thought I should look this up. Especially considering the getting into the trash incident that happened recently. I know a lot of times you can see them but to be honest I'm afraid to really look at their backsides (which I read is the most common area for this to open with). Maggots and larvae are one of number one things that gross me out..along with ticks. I wonder if could this possibly explain some of the symptoms my dogs are having? I'm not sure if the two tie together.

Sedona is biting on her front leg near her paw a lot. Which again, with this breed's sensitive skin type this is not unusual for her to do but still. Any information would be helpful!

The internet doesn't provide a whole lot with information of recognizing the disease just more on the treatment and preventing it. I read it is a common / easy thing to get with dogs and I know it can be fatal in some cases if left untreated. Again any information would be helpful!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I think you are looking for zebras where you should be expecting horses. I've seen fly-blown dogs. If your dogs had maggots, you would know it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Really?
I only ask because it is entirely possible they were exposed to some. I haven't fully looked them over for sores or anything because like I said, it creeps me out big time..traumatic experience once. Heh.
I read they can be smaller than a grain of rice and tend live under the skin.

Again though. I am a paranoid overanalyzer when it comes to my dogs health sometimes so if I'm getting ridiculous feel free to let me know. :)

Any info on signs or symptoms other than the basic seeing them?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
I think, with 11 yr old dogs, you ought to go to a vet and have them do geriatric blood workups on both, and check them out in general (eyes, teeth, heart, temp). I know they are on thyroid meds, but conditions can change. At their age, they can get heart problems, or other problems, that can cause increased panting, (or make them unable to tolerate higher heat). Goopy eyes can be the start of glaucoma, which is painful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think, with 11 yr old dogs, you ought to go to a vet and have them do geriatric blood workups on both, and check them out in general (eyes, teeth, heart, temp). I know they are on thyroid meds, but conditions can change. At their age, they can get heart problems, or other problems, that can cause increased panting, (or make them unable to tolerate higher heat). Goopy eyes can be the start of glaucoma, which is painful.
Thanks for your response and interest in my dogs' health. They both actually just did a check up, blood work, teeth cleaning.. the works.. less than a month ago. Everything was normal for them and their existing conditions (thyroid) if changed at all changed for the better. I am watching the goopy eyes to see if it is a continuing problem though. My parents actually own the mother and father of my two dogs and their health are both on the better end of what's typical for their age and breed.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Then it sounds like you probably don't have anything to worry about, and most likely it is just the heat bothering them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts