Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum. I need advice!

I was hopping to get a dog soon. A sighthoud. Here is a bit of my life stype: i have a steady job 7am to 4pm, not much overtime, and if i do, it's a matter of 15 min +-. I have karate classes 3 times a week, 1 hour each time (but i'm willing to go only 2 times if i get a dog). The rest of the week, i'm mostly at home. In the summer i do mainly walking, biking, kayak, swimming. In the whinter i do some walking, but it's quite cold in Montreal.

I'm in a 3 1/2 appartment, that is a large one. Yard in the back that my landlord give me access. In my neightbourhood we have parcs, dog parcs...

I grew up with a whippet and a borzoi, got a few weeks a rescue greyhound too.

Here is was i was looking for: Saluki, whippet or greyhound. I pretty know the temperment of a whippet, but no clue about how a saluki would deal with this lifestyle. The greyhound i didn't have hime long enof to tell, but he was crazy glue on me.

What would you guys recommend? (Or no) ... I have a cat in my house, that was raised with the borzoi, and was there with the greyhound.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well, in your climate, I'd recommend a Borzoi. He/she would be better able to handle the cold.

However, if you are willing to put coats on a Saluki or Greyhound, either one could work. I've never had a Saluki, but I do know they tend to be more cat-like than other sighthounds. They are a bit more energetic than a lazy Greyhound, having been bred for endurance. And they are VERY independent!

All in all, Greyhounds are likely the easiest to find. Ex-racers are rather readily available, even in Canada.

As for breeders and/or rescue near you, I'd have to investigate...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks sighthounds4me!

I did a bit of reading onnthe net, most people recommend a greyhound for an apartment. Saluki could addaptalso as long as i would give 2 long walks a day plus some potty brake in between... Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
416 Posts
I think your situation is great for a sight hound especially if you can find a fenced off leash dog park to let them blow some steam a time or two a week. Many people think dogs who live in the city are at a disadvantage for exercise and life experiences and I think it is quite the opposite with a good owner. City dogs have access to more varity of walks, interact more with strangers see more places and have better access to services.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts