Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on some random whim, I had decided to go for a run. I put on my shorts and my sneakers, and headed off down the road. I was about 1/4 of a mile from home when I broke my run to briskly walk, and that's when I heard poor Chipper trying to catch up behind me. :(
if you don't know, Chipper is my neighbors 12+ yellow lab, who is obviously suffering from arthritis.

Poor guy... I couldn't run anymore, 'cause he'd follow me, so I had to turn back. It took us forEVER to get back to the house, because he kinda shuffles along... you can tell that he's in pain. I wish that I could somehow keep him at the house, but we don't have a kennel, and his neck is WAY to big for a collar: they just slip over his head! I've never met a dog with a neck that big, save for him.

even the way he stands is off. :/

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
Poor guy - it's so hard on the dogs that remain able and willing minded even as their body starts to break down.

Do your neighbors not have a way of preventing him from escaping/following you down the street?

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, we live in a rural area, and the dogs just stay home. He hangs at my house, though, because he's fed here, is loved here, and my two girls are here. The owner (husband) died about 6 months ago, and ever since then Chip's been here... he's pretty much MY dog, but the wife still, technically, owns him. The dogs get free rein of our properties, basically.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts