Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess I just may need some reassurance. We brought our darling boy home about 5 days ago. He's almost 10 weeks old and cute as can be. But I'm feeling so sad over how difficult he is at this stage.
I will say he sleeps like a champ so far... thank goodness! But put in his crate during the day, he screams and howls and bangs at the crate door. I'm afraid it's stressful for him to the point where it's going to traumatize him over time! So I feel like I can't step away from him for a second. He chases the cat, chews anything he can find, all normal puppy stuff. But I'm so anxious over the constant supervision and not being able to crate him when he gets to be too much! I have to work tomorrow and he'll be in his kennel or exercize pen for about 4 hours. I'm so anxious about how he'll do! I can hardly eat and even though he sleeps through the night, I'm too stressed to get a good nights sleep! Mostly, I just need to be able to crate him for a bit so I can take a mental break, and I don't feel like I have that option. Help!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't have any advice, except to say that you are in good company. Lots of us lose sleep over puppies. But most of us do it again and again.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Totally normal. Your life has just been turned upside down. It really is like having a child, but luckily they grow up faster!

It's also normal for puppies to make a fuss in their crate when you put them in there. I don't think its quite as stressful as they make it out to be! It's important never to let them out of the crate when they're making noise (provided their potty needs have been met). It will take a few weeks for them to stop making that racket, but eventually they learn that no amount of noise is going to get them out.

Also, try playing crate games with the crate to make it a positive place. You can look up crate game so this forum, or on google. Feed the pup in there. Leave her with a stuffed frozen Kong toy. I like to stuff mine with wet dog good, hot dogs, and then just a bit of peanut butter and leave my dog with that when I go to work so he associates me leaving with a really high value treat, so being left isn't quite so bad, and you can do that, too when you need a mental break. The chewing and licking of the frozen treat is also calming, so they are more inclined to just go to sleep after they finish the treat.

Another thing you can try is leaving the pup with a Snuggle Puppy, which is pretty much a stuffed dog with a hot water bottle and a "beating heart" to simulate their litter mates. One of the forum members had success with that calming her pup.

Know that this phase will pass. You will slowly be able to slack off on your supervision as she gets older, but now it's important to set her up for success, because she knows nothing about how the world is supposed to work. Puppy blues seem to pass within a few weeks, just hang in there!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Put the puppy in the crate and walk away. Go outside for a walk. DO NOT LET THE PUPPY OUT OF THE CRATE WHEN HE IS SCREAMING. Doing so will INCREASE THE SCREAMING because you have trained him that if he SCREAMS you will LET HIM OUT or COMFORT HIM.

Tomorrow. Put the puppy in the crate. Give him a Kong with unsweetened plain yogurt in it (freeze it over night). Then go to work. Let him scream. When you get home, get him out. Do NOT fuss over him. Just take him out, get him outside and praise him for peeing and pooping. Now you are also house breaking him. Then play with him. He is going to be full of energy. When he gets tired, CRATE him. Let him scream. Do not let him out. YOU must outlast the dog. Period. He is a little puppy. When he is QUIET let him out (and again, get him outside so he can pee and poop).

Treat your puppy like a dog and not like a child. Let him be a dog and do not attach yourself to his hip (it can create anxiety later on in the dog!). Really. It is not hard unless you make it hard.

Speaking of which, my 7 month old puppy needs to go out and pee/poop and I need to go attend to that!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts