Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

is it common for dogs to have siezures

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi my name is Fran last nite about 3:30am my dog had a full blown siezure it lasted about 3min, I work in the medical field and have seen plenty of people have siezures which is a good thing because i knew as soon as it happened that it was a siezure ,He was disorinted,foaming at the mouth and fell when he tried to stand up and just like a person he urinated on himself,he has never had it happen before. He is about 15 years old and seems to be in good health please give me some sugestions it was really a scarey thing. he seems to be doing well now but i am afraid it could happen again,Thank you in advance for all your help.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sorry to hear this happen but it is pretty clear as to your next move.
Call your vet, make an appointment, and take him.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Hi my name is Fran last nite about 3:30am my dog had a full blown siezure it lasted about 3min, I work in the medical field and have seen plenty of people have siezures which is a good thing because i knew as soon as it happened that it was a siezure ,He was disorinted,foaming at the mouth and fell when he tried to stand up and just like a person he urinated on himself,he has never had it happen before. He is about 15 years old and seems to be in good health please give me some sugestions it was really a scarey thing. he seems to be doing well now but i am afraid it could happen again,Thank you in advance for all your help.
I'd take him to the vet, just to be safe. Some seizures are pretty random and only happen once, and sometimes they can have many seizures (several per day). I've seen pretty mild seizures, and some really scary ones (scary even to anyone who's seen their share of seizures in dogs).
We're pretty sure Dude had a mild seizure as a puppy. He was about 8 weeks old and fell hard off my bed, hit the wood floor and kind of "zoned" out, and kind of "arched" like a seizing dog does. By the time I got him downstairs to my parents, he had come around (and my throat was already raw from screaming). It is horrible seeing something like that happen, even if they seem fine afterwards. (He was seen by the vet the next day, and has been fine ever since). I hope your dog is alright.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Of course I am doing that was just freaked out about it happening thank you
I hope the vet can help you guys out. There are a lot more options available to epi dogs than there used to be. A lot of seizures can be controlled with supplementation and/or prescription drugs. Some dogs can have their seizures controlled with diet alone. And the lucky ones have a random seizure for unknown reasons, and never have one again. I hope your dog is one of the "lucky" ones :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your dog. At 15 years old it is not considered epilepsy. There is a medical reason for it. Brain tumor, thyroid etc. Idiopathic epilepsy, i.e. of unknown cause usually shows between 1-3 years of age with some variation. You must be into the vet right away for blood work and testing. Guardian Angel is a great website for canine epilepsy and they can be very helpful. I just lost my irish setter to it this past November. He was 2 years old.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your dog. At 15 years old it is not considered epilepsy. There is a medical reason for it. Brain tumor, thyroid etc. Idiopathic epilepsy, i.e. of unknown cause usually shows between 1-3 years of age with some variation. You must be into the vet right away for blood work and testing. Guardian Angel is a great website for canine epilepsy and they can be very helpful. I just lost my irish setter to it this past November. He was 2 years old.
Great advice. :) You took the words right out of my mouth.

I would think that the reason for the seizure will be disease at that age, and not epilepsy. Your dog needs see a Vet and have a work up to see if they can determine what it might be.

I can also recommend Guardian Angel and also this site;
http://www.canine-epilepsy.com/

·
Registered
243 Posts
seizures can be common in puppies due to hypoglycemia, which is usually fine after you give it glucose.

In adult dogs it is not normal. Something is very wrong and you should bring it to the vet right away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts