Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Hamish to the vets today and she told me that if his liver numbers haven't reduced the next thing she wants to try is prednisone, however I am reluctant because I've seen a number of reports about side effects and they seem to be fairly bad (stomach issues, neurological issues, etc.), especially as he's not displaying any signs of liver disease apart from his blood results.
I just wanted to find out if others using prednisone had experienced side effects?
Thanks,

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
I have used pred on numerous occasions, never had any neuro issues and I don't remember any of mine having any stomach issues. They do drink a lot more water on pred, and thus pee more.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

I know that you're always going to see more of the bad / scary stories, hence the question. I was also concerned about possible effects of stopping pred suddenly?

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
The constant peeing is the only side effect I ever noticed. First time I had a dog on it, no one told me the side effect. It was a river in my kitchen!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Used it often for various dogs. Mostly increased drinking/peeing. Hungrier.
Vets should have you taper off of it.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Used it often for various dogs. Mostly increased drinking/peeing. Hungrier.
Vets should have you taper off of it.
This is what I was going to say.
Vets will give you instructions to taper them off it eg twice a day for 7 days then 1 a day for 7 days then alternate days for 14 days. It should never just be "bam" stop taking it. You may notice behavioral differences on the higher dosages eg want to sleep more or not wanting to play as much but it will fix it self as the dosage gets smaller. Also increased thirst and peeing more as everyone said. Hungrier.

·
Registered
246 Posts
You could try a holistic vet who would probably recommend glandular therapy to help the liver - which is much better or the liver and doesn't treat it as a symptom, but as a whole problem.

I don't have a problem with conventional medicine, but if its an ongoing issue, maybe you could try a holistic vet?

Just a thought.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the information - whilst it's great to have access to people's experiences via the internet, the stories can be a bit scary sometimes which is why forums like this as so helpful.

You could try a holistic vet who would probably recommend glandular therapy to help the liver - which is much better or the liver and doesn't treat it as a symptom, but as a whole problem.

I don't have a problem with conventional medicine, but if its an ongoing issue, maybe you could try a holistic vet?

Just a thought.
I think the current vet has some holistic training plus she does acupuncture (although when she tried it for Hamish's arthritis I ended up with more needles than him - including the one for calming him - lol) which I was thinking about investigating, however she has called to say last night's blood test results are looking good (levels have stablised) so no need for pred at the moment. Will definitely try to learn more about the glandular therapy in case required.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thanks for the information - whilst it's great to have access to people's experiences via the internet, the stories can be a bit scary sometimes which is why forums like this as so helpful.

I think the current vet has some holistic training plus she does acupuncture (although when she tried it for Hamish's arthritis I ended up with more needles than him - including the one for calming him - lol) which I was thinking about investigating, however she has called to say last night's blood test results are looking good (levels have stablised) so no need for pred at the moment. Will definitely try to learn more about the glandular therapy in case required.
Do a bit of research on it. It's a homeopathic remedy that has proven to works amazingly. Check out Dr. Goldsteins book - The Nature of Animal Healing: The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide To Caring for Your Dog and Cat.

:) Good luck dear.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do a bit of research on it. It's a homeopathic remedy that has proven to works amazingly. Check out Dr. Goldsteins book - The Nature of Animal Healing: The Definitive Holistic Medicine Guide To Caring for Your Dog and Cat.

:) Good luck dear.
Have just found it on Amazon and added to the cart :)

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I know that you're always going to see more of the bad / scary stories, hence the question. I was also concerned about possible effects of stopping pred suddenly?
I've always heard that you should NOT stop pred suddenly - side effects I know of are extra grumpy and extra peeing. Have you looked at the Liver cleansing diet? Are you using silimarin? (milk thistle)?

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've always heard that you should NOT stop pred suddenly - side effects I know of are extra grumpy and extra peeing. Have you looked at the Liver cleansing diet? Are you using silimarin? (milk thistle)?
He's currently on Hepato Support which is 100mg Milk Thistle plus Zentonil Advanced which also includes Silybin but haven't heard of the liver cleansing diet - will need to investigate.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts