Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone -

I have a new pup Riley who will be 12 weeks tomorrow, she is pushing 20lbs right now and is a Golden Retriever & Mastiff mix. We went to the vet last night for her next round of DHLP-Parvo for distemperment and then also got her Bordetella (she got the intranasal one) so that she can start going to puppy daycare! I hate having her caged from 8:30-noon and then 1-5 while I'm at work, I am currently going home at lunch everyday to let her out to potty & play with her. Sunday & Monday we had absolutely no accidents in the house and I was thinking we were becoming closer to being housebroken. When we got back from the vet we went to the park across the street and she pottied then we went back inside. 2 different times between like 8-10pm she seem to have uncontrollable peeing. By this I mean that there was literally a small puddle and then a huge line all around my kitchen & hallway as though she had been peeing while walking and didn't even know it, I never even saw her squat to pee. This happened again later when I was going to take her out the last time for the night and noticed another trail from the kicthen down the hallway to the door. I have never seen her do anything like this and I was just wondering if anyone has ever had similar issues or has ever heard of side effects like this from a puppy getting those 2 vacinations at one time?

She seems much better this morning as we were back to no accidents so I'm hoping whatever was causing it is now gone.

Thanks for any information/help!
-Amy

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
She could have just been stressed from the visit to the vet. Or, looking at her mix (pictures please?) she could be outgrowing her bladder at the moment. (That happens with big dogs. The frame, muscles and skeleton, grows before the organs, including bladder and kidneys, so for short periods of time, her bladder is a little too small for her body.) If it continues, I'd call the vet.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I agree with consulting the vet if it continues. Since she is so young I would think it was more lack of puppy bladder control (very, very, very common) than anything else. Vaccine reactions more resemble allergic reactions.

As for getting more than one vaccine - it is very common to dose rabies, DAPP, letpto (depending on your area for lepto), etc all at once. DHLP is a combo vaccine so she was vaccinated for more than one illness as well there. I doubt it is a vaccine reaction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welp we haven't had any accidents in the house since Tuesday night when she got the shots so I'm thinking as though it must have been the meds. Or like Amaryllis said she may just have been stressed from the vet visit, however she is really good at the vet. She is usually pretty calm there, gets fed a few treats by the vet to dsitract her and acts really well hardly any whining, wiggling away, etc. Unfortunately now though the little bugger appears to have gotten a case of Kennel Cough from the Bortedella vaccine so it looks like no puppy daycare for us until Monday (crossing my fingers the poor thing feels better by then).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts