Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have a 13 weeks old puppy (a husky mix) who is always full of life. Yesterday, she just felt so sleepy and so weak and just literally stayed in her bed the whole day (too weak to get up and walk). She refused to eat her regular food so I made her a soft boiled egg in the morning and she slowly ate that. She is still drinking as usual and although weak, she still tries to get up and eliminate outside. There is no vomitting involved. She did not eat for lunch and by dinner time I decided to try and give her a bland diet. She ate half of it and finished the other half 2 hours later.

She seemed to be getting better at first, tried to get up and pick up one of her toys but went back to bed shortly after.

Today, when we opened her crate, she was just lying there so we had to force her up to take her outside to pee. She had a hard time getting up and her back legs were limping (i'm guessing because of weakness). She didn't eat breakfast again.

What might be wrong with her? There are no vets in my area and we had to fly out just to see a vet.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
It makes no sense to me that there are no vets in your area... where exactly are you living?
Your dog is displaying very concerning behavior, and I would advise that you seek veterinary attention IMMEDIATELY. I fear that if you do not, you won't have a puppy much longer. Especially at this rate of decline...

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
the OP could easily be living where there's no Vets, malls, people, etc.

It makes no sense to me that there are no vets in your area... where exactly are you living?

Your dog is displaying very concerning behavior, and I would advise that you seek veterinary attention IMMEDIATELY. I fear that if you do not, you won't have a puppy much longer. Especially at this rate of decline...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
doggiepop is right. I work in a northern reserve and I also adopted the puppy from here. There are absolutely no vets, malls nor hospitals, just a small clinic and small food store. Her tummy seems bloated and she becomes agressive when we tried to pick her up so we are guessing its upset stomach. She is fasting right now but if her condition doesn't improve, we will have to fly out to the nearest vet, which is about 600 km away.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
You can ask if your people clinic would see her. The medications are mostly the same. Antibiotics fluids stomach meds. Might be able to give you some support. At this rate your dog may not survive the flight out. What kind of internet do you get out there?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Yeah, I've heard of people in Alaska consulting with a vet over the phone or internet, getting prescriptions through the mail, etc. But do try to get in contact with a vet soon, if at all possible. Then if the vet says the pup needs certain care you can't give yourself, see if the people clinic will help (or maybe just one of the nurses after-hours).

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Did you do a food change before any of this happened? Or change anything at all? New table scraps? New walk route? meet a new dog?
The lethargy you're describing initially sounds like the beginning of CIV, but the limping... that's got me stumped... you can give your dog baby aspirin (NEVER advil/tylenol) but I would need a weight to get the dosage correct. It'll make her a little sleepy though, and may not be well tolerated since she's young... but will help with the pain causing her to limp.

- actually... you know what? Did she get an abnormal amount of exercise recently? Where did you purchase her? It may not actually be weakness you're seeing, it may all be pain related. Shepherds are big for hip dysplasia and other sorts of hip problems.

If she is 8lbs, she can be given 1/2 a baby aspirin - or less (I'd probably go 1/4 personally). But that's the minimum weight necessary..
Also, the aspirin is absorbed easier if it doesn't have the coating on it, and give with food.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there. The limping was just there this morning, I'm guessing its because she's too weak and was just lying too much through the night. She's able to walk without limping to go outside for a very quick bathroom break though. We've never switched her food, she's eating Blue Buffalo wilderness for large breed puppy. Her treats are the same (dry freeze chicken, frozen carrots and dog biscuit). She hasn't been walking outside for the past 2 days because of extreme cold weather (-40 and -50 ! brrrr!) but has been getting exercise at home).

We've tried placing long distance call to any vet that was open today and tried to get their opinions. Right now, they are suggesting to continue feeding her small amounts of rice that is basically blended and pulverized.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
puppy has finally been able to eat and she seems to be more alert today but still lethargic so we are arranging her flight and sending her down to the nearest animal hospital. We can't accompany her though so we are trusting the vet staff to take care of her from the airport to the hospital. Hope everything goes well. there's only one plane coming in today so hopefully that will be on schedule and everything will work out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thankyou :) before we sent her on her way, there was a great improvement in her, she was able to move and walk around for a bit (even roll and play with her ball), but she is still not her usual self and easily gets tired. She is limping badly on her back legs too so we decided to go ahead and send her. Flights were delayed and she had a couple of stop overs so I'm hoping she is doing great and she gets there soon and safe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
good news~! After 3 hour flight (so many stop overs for her) she finally arrived at the vet and we got some good news for her. Doctor says that whatever she had, she is rapidly recovering from it. She might have had a bad stomach flu that basically drained her strength. She is eating normally right now and they were able to update her shots too (which is an added bonus!). They are just monitoring her now so she would have to stay for a day or two.

Sure we have to spend alot more just to get her to the vet but knowing that she is going to be okay is well worth it :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm so glad you got good news! How scary it must be to not have a vet close to you, and to have to send her by herself. I'm glad everything looks good.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After alot of trouble arranging her flight back, she is finally home!! :) tnx for my workplace for picking her up at the airport :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Oh, she is adorable! What a gorgeous girl. I'm glad she's home safe and healthy. How is she feeling?

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
WOW, adorable! I am in absolute love with those ears!!!! I've been watching this thread, good to hear she did well on the trip! Must be so difficult having to fly in and out for everything....I lived North, but not THAT far North, kudos to you for coping with all of that, NE BC was enough for me!
How is she feeling now? Still improving?

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Wow! Gorgeous. What a sweet face. Glad she is feeling better. Kudos to you for getting her to the vet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thankyou everyone and yes, she is doing much much better, eating normally again (although I suspect she might have missed 1-2 meals because of the flight) and she's back to her lively self. She is tired though which is understandable since her flight was delayed and there were a couple of stops inbetween (2 stops, 1 for refueling).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts