Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My kitty cat appears to have a cold. His eyes are very watery and he's blowing out snot bubbles. He's also sneezing a lot. Any one have any ideas what I can do to help him feel better? I will call the vet tomorrow morning when they open, but I'm just wondering if anybody has any home remedy type idea. My poor baby...I've never seen him so lethargic.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
If he's lethargic you need to get get him ASAP, possibly as an ER as things have gone too far. In the mean time, be sure you have him in a room with a vaporizer and perhaps some saline drops for his nose every couple of hours. It sounds like a very severe UR infection. Is he UTD on his distemper shots?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If he's lethargic you need to get get him ASAP, possibly as an ER as things have gone too far. In the mean time, be sure you have him in a room with a vaporizer and perhaps some saline drops for his nose every couple of hours. It sounds like a very severe UR infection. Is he UTD on his distemper shots?
Well, he's not lethargic anymore. I've been up since 6:30 and while he's definitely still ill, no lethargy. His eyes have mostly cleared up, also...only a teeny tiny bit of discharge. His nose is definitely still runny though. I've been wiping it off but I can tell its still hard for him to breathe. He wouldn't eat yesterday, but today I got him to eat some canned food although it appears to be tough for him to breathe as he's eating.

I've talked to my vet twice today and he wants me to wait another day because his nasal discharge is only very slightly yellowish...mostly clear so he doesn't want me to stress my cat by bringing him in if its not an infection. So for tonight I will just be watching him closely. My vet also suggested that I take him in the shower with me tonight to help so kitty will be taking a long hot shower with me tonight!

·
Registered
92 Posts
My vet also suggested that I take him in the shower with me tonight to help so kitty will be taking a long hot shower with me tonight!
Oh, that should be fun....for both of you. Does the vet actually want the cat IN the shower with you or just in the steam filled bathroom while you are showering? I can not imagine a cat (sick or healthy) putting up showering with their human. Okay, I CAN imagine, but it's not a pretty site. Poor kitty. My cat HATES going to the vet with a passion, but I think he would hate a shower even more.

My cat has been treated for nasal discharge with antibiotics.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
ALL of my cats (all 8 (at the time), YIKES!) got a cold last year. They were snotty and sneezing, but not lethargic. My vet is of the same opinion as yours, and so I didn't treat them in any way. I just kept it warmer in the house and gave them some chicken broth to drink. Most recovered quickly, but one was sick for a long time, even though her snot was still clear, not green or dark yellow. I almost brought her in to the vet, but she did recover eventually.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Glad to hear he's over the lethargy! That was the main sypmtom that was worying me. Yes, a good steamy shower may help him significantly. that's why I suggested a room with a vaporizer in it and the saline drops.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad to hear he's over the lethargy! That was the main sypmtom that was worying me. Yes, a good steamy shower may help him significantly. that's why I suggested a room with a vaporizer in it and the saline drops.
I tried the saline drops a little while ago and it did seem to help him. Thanks for that tip! I do have a vaporizer because I have some sinus problems myself, but its starting to malfunction...I'll have to get a new one on payday. Until then, steamy showers for all of us! :D

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Bentle, you can get the Vicks vaporizers for like 12.00 at Walmart, they are the hot steam kind, but work GREAT (I put a little salt in the water to help the steam). I have 3-4 of them for cold and flu season here.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh awesome! I love cheap:p I should definitely invest in a couple for all the rooms of the house in that case. The one I have has been around for quite awhile...I'm surprised its been working for as long as it has.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts