Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 3 year old toy chihuahua I adopted last Friday, He woke me up at 2am, and there was wet and dry dog poop all over my room (some with mucous bloody looking liquid) - and he hasn't pooped in the house up till now. I took him to the vet, he said it was because of the diet change and environment change. I paid $100, got a bunch of exams, special food and medicine. Then I took him for a walk. I'm stressing out so much, I got my answer from the vet but I feel so overwhelmed. Any words of encouragement? I feel awful. He is my first dog.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
First dogs are scary ....... it is all new ........

Words of encouragement ... dogs become like our children to some of us. Whenever one of them becomes ill we naturally turn on the stress buttons ... and even more so when they cannot tell us where it is or what hurts. As good parents we want the best for our beloved canines. We also feel like we should be able to fix it for them. When we do not understand what it is that ails them and cannot fix it "right now" ... some of us feel soooo badly we put ourselves on guilt trips and the like.

I have been there. Take comfort in the fact that you did what a good dog parent should and took your dog to the vet. Now you know what was wrong and at least it was nothing serious like parvo. Take a deep breath and relax now so your dog does too! Your dog feels your emotions.

I am happy he is going to be alright! :) It would be nice if this is the only time in his life he will get ill ... and I hope it is .... but be prepared as any good dog parent should ... just in case. :) Best wishes on his recovery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My Toby just caught an illness too. He's only 2 months old though. I have had other dogs but he's my first puppy.

Take it easy with him, keep him comfortable and don't overdo the exercise. He will recover.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Welcome and good luck new parent. It sounds as if your vet is right on board. New food, new home , new routine- stress overload for the little guy, I would not change his food around too much. Find one that he likes and works for him and then stick to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First dogs are scary ....... it is all new ........

Words of encouragement ... dogs become like our children to some of us. Whenever one of them becomes ill we naturally turn on the stress buttons ... and even more so when they cannot tell us where it is or what hurts. As good parents we want the best for our beloved canines. We also feel like we should be able to fix it for them. When we do not understand what it is that ails them and cannot fix it "right now" ... some of us feel soooo badly we put ourselves on guilt trips and the like.

I have been there. Take comfort in the fact that you did what a good dog parent should and took your dog to the vet. Now you know what was wrong and at least it was nothing serious like parvo. Take a deep breath and relax now so your dog does too! Your dog feels your emotions.

I am happy he is going to be alright! :) It would be nice if this is the only time in his life he will get ill ... and I hope it is .... but be prepared as any good dog parent should ... just in case. :) Best wishes on his recovery.
Thank you for verbalizing what I've been feeling. It's kind of ridicilous to say at the age of 22 but I'm not used to caring about someone else, and caring on a deeper level than just "hope you're ok" - it's so much to take in at once and so quickly. Is it even possible this will be the only time he'll be ill? Thanks again, I feel better already.

My Toby just caught an illness too. He's only 2 months old though. I have had other dogs but he's my first puppy.

Take it easy with him, keep him comfortable and don't overdo the exercise. He will recover.
I hope Toby feels better. My dog seems to like his crate a lot more right now than he used to.

Welcome and good luck new parent. It sounds as if your vet is right on board. New food, new home , new routine- stress overload for the little guy, I would not change his food around too much. Find one that he likes and works for him and then stick to it.
The dry food we were getting him he refused to eat, the wet food he loved - we mixed it up so he would get a taste for both, which I think might have been a big mistake. Right now I will keep him on the food the vet gave me and I will ask him for a recommendation on what to eat next

·
Registered
496 Posts
abbbylynn in my opinion summed it up really. For alot of us, our dogs become like children to us and we stress when they are ill. This most likely wont be the only time she will get ill. Keeping him in good health will help lower the chance, but there is always a chance. My newest pup went from having worms, to having kennel cough. ive had dogs become ill fine for months to years then they got ill again, never anything to major, most major thing was parvo. But my horse vet always tells everyone, never assume they will never get ill even if healthy, you never know what can happen or what they can catch, and i feel he is right.

i hope your boy starts feeling better

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thank you for verbalizing what I've been feeling. It's kind of ridicilous to say at the age of 22 but I'm not used to caring about someone else, and caring on a deeper level than just "hope you're ok" - it's so much to take in at once and so quickly. Is it even possible this will be the only time he'll be ill? Thanks again, I feel better already.
Some of it depends on his genetics, but usually Chihuahuas are a very healthy breed. Scout (my Chihuahua) has been with me for 12 years and counting and he's still strong as a bull.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Is it even possible this will be the only time he'll be ill?
Probably not. Even very healthy dogs age, and there will be times when they don't feel well. It's definitely a transition, feeling completely responsible for another life. I worry all the time, although Kit's never been seriously ill beyond a random vomit, bee sting, or parasite here and there. Try your best to take it in stride. Life is meant to be lived; dogs don't belong in bubbles.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
The good thing is that your dog just has an upset stomach rather than a disease. Although it's scary and disconcerting, it is very easy to take care of:
1. When you change food, slowly use 80% of the old food and 20% of the new for a day or two. The 60%/40% ... 50%/50% ... 40%/60%... and 80%/20% ... for 1 - 2 weeks, then give 100% of the new food. This is b/c dogs have to have time to change their mix of stomach bacteria to adjust to the new food.
2. When the dog gets diarrhea or constipation, after an OK from the Vet, use pumpkin (works for both!). Get a $2.50 can of plain, unflavored, (pureed), pumpkin with no sugar and no spices. I over-emphasize, because you usually find this in the pie section of the grocery store. Use about 1 teaspoon with each meal... dogs seem to like the flavor. It is bland and high fiber, usually making a difference in less than a week.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
The best advise that I can give to new dog or puppy owners is... Invest in a good carpet steam cleaner. I like the hoover with the rotating brushes. It has saved me more headaches (well, made them smaller and easier to fix) It is one of the better investments you will make.

Now, Congrats on your new dog. Glad he got a good bill of health other then a little nervous or unsettled tummy. Hopefully that rights itself quickly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts