Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feed my beagle/boston terrier mix the all-red meat small bites Evo. We switched to this food from the Evo that contains poultry because we discovered he was allergic to the poultry - he constantly had dry, scaly patches of skin all over. We've had great results with the red meat - his skin cleared up almost immediately, and he has seemed healthier than ever. UNTIL a week ago. Leroy (my dog) developed a severe gastrointestinal infection, complete with very bloody and loose stools. He became so dehydrated that his life was in danger, and we had to inject him with a fluid drip under the skin for two days.

We are now cooking his food (rice and ground lean beef), and he has almost completely recovered. We would like to try the Evo again, but are afraid. Has anyone heard of any problems with this food? Such as possibly tainted batches that could make a dog sick? We have not pinpointed the exact cause of Leroy's illness, but know that it roughly coincided with a new bag of Evo...

Thanks for reading, any help appreciated.

·
Registered
509 Posts
No...I haven't heard anything and am not familiar with Evo..

But I would NOT go back to any type of that food if it was my Dog....can't you try another food....???

Wellness
Chicken Soup for Dogs
Paul Newman Organic
Blue Buffalo

....all of these foods have very good ingredients....I use Blue Buffalo.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, thanks for your reply. Our pet food store has had no other reported problems with the Evo, but I did decide to switch to a new food, a buffalo/venison mix from a small company. I plan to contact Evo directly to see if they know of any problems.

It very well might not have been the food, but you're right, better to play it safe! I will keep Blue Buffalo in mind also, in case this one becomes unavailable!

Good news is that our little guy seems to be doing very well again. Whew!

·
Registered
509 Posts
I'm glad to hear that....why go back to a food your not sure of....there are so many others to try:)

Post a Pic of your dog ...I'd love to see him:D

·
Registered
185 Posts
I am a believer in the "tainted bag" of food theory. I have a multiple dog household and recently experienced a similar situation. All my dogs went thru bouts of diarrhea except the ONE who ate a different brand of food. I had been feeding the same brand for a while so at first, I figured it must be something else causing it, but it became clear when the dog on other food was fine the whole time. I switched brands and even with a sudden change they improved immediately. I will Never go back to the old food brand. I checked the manufacturer's website and called the store I bought it from to see if anyone else had compalined, I guess I was the only one who had a problem... still not going back to old food. This was a "premium" dog food brand, btw.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts