Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Evening All!
My 4 month old Aussie granddog has become progressively more lethargic over the last 10 days. She had some diarrhea this AM...took her to the Vets this afternoon, diagnosed with roundworms. She put her on Anvo 5%, 8 cc on a loading dose and then 4 cc per day in addition to the wormer. When we got to the Vets, her eyes are very bloodshot. I came home tonight and she doesn't want to really open that right eye. I asked the Vet and she wasn't concerned.
I am very concerned about this little one..she hasn't had any vaccinations as I was trying to insist my daughter save enough to pay for them herself. I just have this feeling that something more is going on with her. I have had dogs my entire life and have not seen a dog act like this with roundworms. I have two older dogs in the house and neither is ill. One last comment. Saturday night, the puppy was in the livingroom and just started howling...she was inconsolable for at least five minutes and we could find nothing wrong with her. Anyone with thoughts???

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Take the pup back to the vet. Did they not explain the importance of vaccinations early? Waiting until your daughter can pay for them is really putting the dog at risk. That should've been accounted for before purchasing the dog. Parvo and distemper are very common in TN. Did the vet test for parvo? Recommend vaccinations? Check her eyes? Begin Heartworm prevention? If not, I would find a new vet today, take the dog in, and go from there. Hopefully the puppy recovers and its nothing too serious.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Vet did a full exam including stool for parasites but did not test for parvo. When I asked her about parvo, she told me because this has been progessively getting worse over a week or more, the parvo would be "full blown" by now and she would be very ill....the puppy is still eating well. The Vet also told me she was to young for heartworm. She checked her eyes but wasn't concerned as "some dogs eyes just get like that when they don't feel well". I am going to to see how she looks in the AM and take her back tomorrow. If no satisfaction, I will seek a second opinion but I have taken my other dogs to this vet without complaint. I am well aware of the issues of vaccinations but my dogs are not out of my backyard and this dog, just like my other two, was a rescue not a whimsical purchase, but one of 7 whose mother had been killed when the puppies were 8 days old. Thank you for your concern and response.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hope she feels better in the morning, and glad to hear she has an appetite. Though not all dogs have the 'full blown" parvo symptoms, I would be concerned about vaccinations as you can bring the virus home on your shoes even. Too young for heartworms? Hmmm, not sure I understand. It takes microfilara six months to develop into adults, but start prevention before that happens! Also, there has been a failure rate with a few preventatives, including heartgard, in the Mississippi valley area if you are in the west of the state. This is a new thing, just to let you know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the dog back to the Vets yesterday, and after an hours worth of test and bloodwork, she's been diagnosed as having some type of rodenticide poisoning (d-con type). She has significant hemmorhaging in both eyes and her PT clotting time was significantly decreased. They gave her 400cc of IV fluid last night and a Vitamin K injection and sent us home on oral
Vitamin K and dicloxycillin. She is eating her boiled chicken and rice and drinking a little but as of this morning is still very lethargic and now appears to not be able to see. I have spoken with the Vet again and all we can do is wait and pray for the Vitamin K to kick in, hopefully today. She can not tell me if the vision loss is temporary or permanent if she survives. Beyond the obvious heartbreak, my heart is broken because I do not own any type of poison of any kind and my yard is fenced. My neighbor however is not happy unless he is poisoning something so somewhere somehow the two have crossed. We found a dead mouse in our sunroom last Saturday but Cheyenne was crated and the mouse was removed unless there was another one that she ate and we didn't see it...is the only thing I can think of! Thanks for your responses and please let me know if any of you have any knowledge of the outcome of a similar situation.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Oh sorry Norma. I hope she makes a full recovery. I had a dog eat a bucket of mouse poison, did bit k injections and tablets, but she never showed any symptoms. I would be visiting the neighbor!

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm glad the vet was finally able to make a diagnosis, and hope that the treatment works for her. I've known some pups who have pulled through this. Best luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's been a very long and sad week in our house....We lost Cheyenne Monday night after days of Vet visits and a group of Vets who were unable to concretely diagnose her symptoms. She had more bloodwork done on Monday and she was in renal failure with a very low calcium and platlet level. In spite of heroic efforts, we took her home Monday night with an IV running and she died in our arms. Beyond the grief and heartbreak of loosing this puppy and watching my daughter's devastation is anger!! We consented to an autopsy because the Vet was so concerned as to what she had and the results came back today. She died as a result of Vitamin D3 Rodenticide poisoning which they have never seen nor had the state pathologist. This poison spikes the calcium level in vital organs causing renal failure and calsification of vital organs. I was also told that she had to have directly ingested the bait as it could not be caused by secondary consumption. Tomorrow, I am going to comb the property with a fine tooth comb to see if there is any trace of what she found. She has only been in our yard......so someone either put it out to poison something and the rodent/squirrel brought it into our yard...I suspect the neighbor used it on squirrels because I haven't seen any and we were over run just a few months ago. I have moved throught the devastation and am in the anger stages of this experience....I just must figure out a way to channel it productively. Even if this is diagnosed and caught early, it's almost always fatal as the calcium level is nearly impossible to bring down. What is comes down to is that little girl died a horrible death over someones either stupidity or out right malice. Thanks all for listening and I may post a thread that directly deals with this poison.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I'm so very sorry for your loss. Sometimes everything that can be done is not enough. And it sounds like you did everything you could.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts