Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just learned about littermate syndrome or sibling syndrome.

My dogs are almost a year old, and nobody had ever warned me about having 2 pups together and the problems associated with 'littermate syndrome' even though my dogs are non-related siblings.

As I've started wlaking them spearately, the changes are amazing but not necessarily positive.

Bob, who has not chased a car since before we got Sacha is jumping after every car and motorcycle that goes by on our walks.

Sacha, who never peed on a walk- not once- before separate walks now pees almost every time while out walking. She still holds the poo until we get home.

Are you raising dogs of the same age? Any tips from anyone?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Bob, who has not chased a car since before we got Sacha is jumping after every car and motorcycle that goes by on our walks.
Did you mean to write it that way? I only ask because I fail to see how that is a good thing.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not! It's awful! But I think it shows that his behavior was stunted, which is what this whole thread is about. This topic doesn't exist on this forum. I regret the 2 dogs, but love them both to c=death and really do have the time it takes to care for them properly. I just wish I had been forewarned.

Did you mean to write it that way? I only ask because I fail to see how that is a good thing.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I raised Leeo and Blu Boy together and they are from the same litter and brothers and Leeo was the runt that nobody wanted. :( I gave them separate training and I also trained them together. I only ever had one spat between them at the age of about 5 months old.

I also taught them to share together, eat together, play together. They each had one on one human time apart.

Either I did it correctly or the dogs just were good boys or their personalities meshed perfectly. I will never know. I never heard of the littermate syndrome before acquiring my boys ... only sibling rivalry pertaining to humans. I just figured it was about the same thing ... just like my 3 Sister's and I ... and it would work itself out when they got older. I did not dwell on the issue but went about my business as usual ... normal training.

I say ... if your dogs did things better than before you switched up their routine because of the worry of littermate syndrome ... don't try and fix what is not broken. Humans do not like change ... and I would imagine sudden change to a dog will make his/her whole world turn upside down ... because they supposedly cannot reason like we humans can. :D

Here you are :) ... http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/111961-littermates-crates.html

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback Abbylynn!

We have had some problems though- Sacha's been quite bossy and they've squabbled a few times.:-(

I also think you've been quite lucky.

The link you point to really doesn't have any resources for those of us experiencing littermate syndrome, I hope this thread can be helpful to someone other than me!

I raised Leeo and Blu Boy together and they are from the same litter and brothers and Leeo was the runt that nobody wanted. :( I gave them separate training and I also trained them together. I only ever had one spat between them at the age of about 5 months old.

I also taught them to share together, eat together, play together. They each had one on one human time apart.

Either I did it correctly or the dogs just were good boys or their personalities meshed perfectly. I will never know. I never heard of the littermate syndrome before acquiring my boys ... only sibling rivalry pertaining to humans. I just figured it was about the same thing ... just like my 3 Sister's and I ... and it would work itself out when they got older. I did not dwell on the issue but went about my business as usual ... normal training.

I say ... if your dogs did things better than before you switched up their routine because of the worry of littermate syndrome ... don't try and fix what is not broken. Humans do not like change ... and I would imagine sudden change to a dog will make his/her whole world turn upside down ... because they supposedly cannot reason like we humans can. :D

Here you are :) ... http://www.dogforums.com/dog-training-forum/111961-littermates-crates.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts