Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Connie. I live in Murfreesboro Tennessee. We purchased a brother and sister from the same litter and I am sure that we have raised them all wrong. That's why I have joined this forum to get ideas about to change things. Meet Delilah and PD. They are now six months old. I
Dog Mammal Vertebrate Dog breed Canidae

·
Registered
676 Posts
Are there any specific issues you're having that you could elaborate on? That will help people to offer concrete suggestions & ideas. In the meantime, here is a good article on raising littermates:
Depending on the level of problematic behaviors, it would probably be a very good idea for you to engage the services of an in-person trainer who could see what's going on first hand & offer you a training plan as well as personal support. Just make sure whoever you work with offers professional, modern, force-free methods.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Separate them. Handle them separately. Feed them separately. Train them away from each other. Separate them and keep them separate all the time for at least the next two years.

Littermate syndrome is a real thing.. where the puppies bond to each other more closely than to people.

Separate them. All. The. Time.

·
Registered
508 Posts
At what age are dogs who are going to be rasied together old enough to co-exist?

Like if somebody where to get two 8 week old puppies, and seperated them constantly, how old are the dogs supposed to be before being allowed to be together?

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
@Deacon.dog My understanding is that the dogs can interact casually, but they need to have well-established lives separate from each other, hence the separate walks, separate training sessions, separate sleeping areas, etc. When puppies become each other's whole world, it doesn't set them up for learning confidence or how to engage with others (dog or human) well, so establishing early on that the other puppy isn't any more important in their lives than, say, a neighbor's dog sets them up for a much healthier relationship with each other and the rest of the world.

Not sure there's a specific time at which you can say 'okay, we can stop everything' that will work for every household and every pair of puppies, but I'd imagine that if you're really on top of it things will slowly transition to a more 'normal' multi-dog household within the first year or so.

My late grandfather's dogs have this issue in spades. It's sad to see. The male constantly bullies the female, pushing between her and people or food or really anything she might find interesting, but they can't function without each other either. I worry for my grandmother when one of them passes, since she's stuck managing them largely on her own now that my grampa's gone.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats awful.

My aunt got two chihuahua puppies at the same time. I sent her a private message and told her about LS but I don't think she did anything.

She took her dogs to training classes, so hopefully they wont be too god awful.

but chihuahuas are already a handful, can't imagine a chihuahua with LS @[email protected]

(im also talking about badly bred chihuahuas, like all badly bred dogs, their behavior is.. off. She posted about the breeder a few times.. so I know exactly who it is and the breeder is less then reputable)

·
Super Moderator
2,919 Posts
It doesn't happen every time someone gets two puppies close in age and doesn't take precautions, but when it does it's really terrible for everyone. Often you can't even take one dog to the vet or around the block without the other losing their mind with anxiety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts