Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to share these photos I took today at a local park. The park was hosting a Winter Festival, and they had a beautiful team of purebred Siberian sled dogs! :D Needless to say, I hung out with them all afternoon, asking questions and loving on the dogs. It was a blast!

Besides the photos, I also have a video of them in action, which I'll post too.

More...

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm so jealous! Beautiful dogs. I esp. love the 1st pic & 7th photo where the dogs are booing (one of my favorite sounds - I turned Poca's boo into a ring tone - lol). The perspective in the photo is beautiful.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Awwwwww... they are all gorgeous. I keep hearing, you can't just have one husky and I'm finding it to be soooo hard to resist getting another one.

The one in the 1st photo is such a light color of red she/he looks almost pink! (hmmm... pink huskies. I wonder if it is a real color)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments! They really were stunning dogs. Seeing them reminded me that Willow is definitely more of an Alaskan Husky in build - she's not nearly as square as the dogs I photographed.

The light red dog was older - I know he was at least 7, probably a few years older than that (if I remember correctly). So, that somewhat explains the light coat - I hear that huskies tend to get lighter as they age.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Holy cow could those blue eyes be any more striking on that dog! GORGEOUS!

Is it just me, or do the hands of the handler in the one picture look awefully red?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, they do look very red!!! It was pretty cold outside - I bet that had something to do with it...

·
Registered
714 Posts
Awwwwww... they are all gorgeous. I keep hearing, you can't just have one husky and I'm finding it to be soooo hard to resist getting another one.

The one in the 1st photo is such a light color of red she/he looks almost pink! (hmmm... pink huskies. I wonder if it is a real color)
its true, it is hard to not want another one...dont fight it, just get another one:)

but gorgeous pictures, one day i hope to do something similar.

·
Registered
265 Posts
This is my new desktop background. I realize this is an old thread but I'm just now coming across it. Great pictures, amazing dogs. Thanks for posting the pics and videos Nekomi...very cool.

...and I'm glad that I'm not the only that is dying to get 2nd ;)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some of them! The one with one blue and one brown eye is BJ. The white one is Ghostdancer. One of them is Jessie but I don't remember which! :D

What's really amazing is that all of these dogs are into their teens and still running strong. They had just as much energy as my young dogs here. That's really saying something for the exceptional care these guys receive!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Beautiful dogs. love the pic of them howling. What are you feeding them? My last dog(Alpine) was a Siberian Husky and he didn't look nearly as big and massive as your dogs.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hehe! LOL, these are not my dogs. :D I photographed them at a mushing demonstration last winter. :D

Most of that bulk is all coat, I can tell you from petting/hugging them. ;) On top of that, they were all very stocky, short-legged Sibes (at least compared to my leggy monsters).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Most of that bulk is all coat, I can tell you from petting/hugging them. ;) On top of that, they were all very stocky, short-legged Sibes (at least compared to my leggy monsters).
Working sibes definitely have a different look, eh? I really like the wilder look of the "outside dog" coat.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Working sibes definitely have a different look, eh? I really like the wilder look of the "outside dog" coat.
I have to agree with you on the coat! I love how nice Willow's coat gets in the winter - I try to purposely give her more outside time in the "transition" months so that she coats up well for the winter. Jasper is outside nearly full-time and this is my first winter with him - he is already coating up beautifully.

It's funny though, because these shorter, stockier Sibes aren't usually what I think of when I think of racing/working Sibes - in my mind I picture Seppalas or leggy, rangy Sibes. But the vast majority of the Siberians at the Trailbreakers event (including these dogs) were these shorter, stockier types.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I have to agree with you on the coat! I love how nice Willow's coat gets in the winter - I try to purposely give her more outside time in the "transition" months so that she coats up well for the winter. Jasper is outside nearly full-time and this is my first winter with him - he is already coating up beautifully.

It's funny though, because these shorter, stockier Sibes aren't usually what I think of when I think of racing/working Sibes - in my mind I picture Seppalas or leggy, rangy Sibes. But the vast majority of the Siberians at the Trailbreakers event (including these dogs) were these shorter, stockier types.
We have a kennel up here that races the beargrease every year (and has done the iditarod in the past) that is all pure bred sibes. They have something around 57 dogs, and they're all the sepalla type huskies. Really nice people too :)

http://www.jedeyesleddogs.com/

I don't let Rocky coat out in the winter. His coat is already ridiculously thick. His summer coat is as thick as most working huskies winter coats. If he coated out in the winter he'd be miserable inside.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts