Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
He sounds like a normal dog to me. Besides golden retrievers I don't know many dogs who will go up to every person they meet for petting. Petting from strangers isn't really something most dogs enjoy, especially if the stranger is looming over them. Of course there will always be some dogs who are more "people oriented" who wants attention from every person on the street but I don't think they're the norm. He doesn't sound shy or aggressive at all, just displaying the appropriate response to move away from something he isn't comfortable with. As long as no one corners him and forces attention on him I don't think it would be a problem. Our dog loves people, and if he is in an offleash park will go up to new people for a brief petting but he doesn't want it from every person he meets. Not sure what his criteria for friendly people is but he definitely likes "dog people" more than others. Sometimes he'll run up and lean into someone for a pet and then after they pet him once he'll turn and go off to do something else.

Oh and if he wants to move away you should always let him do that, don't let people force attention. He's giving a clear signal that he isn't interested by moving away. If too many people force attention on him it could build to aggression in the future if he feels like people aren't listening to his signals.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts