Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my pit bull was possibly bitten by a shrew. approx. 3 wks ago, he had a large swollen area with a centralized hard area--it was swollen the size of a pool ball. next day, it was down to the size of a reg. marble.
last week, he started becoming very lethargic and appearred to be having front extremity pain and weakness.
we took him to the vet, told him about the swollen area, he gave us pain pills and antibiotics.
he is current on all shots and is regularly dosed for fleas,ticks, and all worms.
two weeks later, he's not hardly any better.
has anyone had this happen and is there something we should be doing?

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Other than be sure your dog get a rabies booster I can't think of anything. I hope he gets better soon!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Did you call your vet? Explain that your dog is not getting any better. Your dog may need another round of antibiotics or a different class of antibiotics. Good luck and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes, we are on our second round of antibiotics and pain pills. however, this was not due to a shrew bite, even though we did find a short tail shrew which is poisonous, but not toxic enough to hurt a dog. it only affects insects, earth worms, small snakes.
several labs later, it seems that it's he has a blood born infection that is in his spine and in the discs. my vet says he see's this quite frequently, but doesn't know what it's caused from. he told us that it can sometimes take a long recovery time. thanks for all the concern, we were worried sick because he's our baby!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
So glad your vet got to the root of the problem. I'm wishing your baby a speedy recover!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts