Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really love to see all the different types that occur in the breed(s) you're familiar with!
I think it would be fun to see all the variations, and I'm always up for learning more about dog breeds. And I don't think I'm the only one on this forum ;)

What I mean is structural differences, so I don't mean all the different colors in a breed. (unless they are accompanied with differences in body structure :p)

So bring it on! Oh, and don't hold back on pictures. :D

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I did a lot of research into border collies when I got Kabota, so:

All three of these dogs are border collies:

Border collie (not a GSD mix):

Also, border collie (not a golden retriever mix):

and, just for fun, the curly coated border collie:

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
The only big difference in Rat Terriers are size. We've got people breeding outside the standard on both ends, so you can find a Rat that weighs anywhere from 3lbs, to 50lbs.

I kind of want one of the big ones (called Deckers), but they are so, so hard to come by. But man.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The only big difference in Rat Terriers are size. We've got people breeding outside the standard on both ends, so you can find a Rat that weighs anywhere from 3lbs, to 50lbs.

I kind of want one of the big ones (called Deckers), but they are so, so hard to come by. But man.
My MIL breeds Rat terriers (black and tan),they tend to weigh around 8 to 10lbs full grown and what I think is awesome about them is how agile and nimble they are! They can jump from the floor right up into your arms!! lol.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
My MIL breeds Rat terriers (black and tan),they tend to weigh around 8 to 10lbs full grown and what I think is awesome about them is how agile and nimble they are! They can jump from the floor right up into your arms!! lol.
I'm not nuts over the miniatures to be honest - I like the utilitarian farm dog/hunting dog aspect. Not that I don't like small dogs; I do, I just prefer my rat terriers on the standard side of the divide. My guy's at the top of the standard and just about perfect for me at 25lbs and 18". I wouldn't MIND a 15lber, but I probably wouldn't go smaller than that. Jack's fast as heck, and you can really see the whippet in the breed background in him, and I DO like his speed and agility, a TON. It's probably my favorite thing about him. But I think those big, used for hunting, Deckers are pretty impressive, too. Just... in a different way.

Also, the dog in that picture I first posted is beautiful, but FAT.

Anyway, for the purposes of comparison and this thread:

I'd give my right arm to own this dog:
The big
)

The little.

And my guy, in the middle(ish):

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Fun topic!

My breed doesn't have a split and doesn't even have different color options. Pretty easy! And unlike what some people assume, the Welsh springer is not a variety of English springer - they're not any more related to each other than to any other similar flushing spaniel breed. They used to be called Welsh cockers, until the cocker/springer divide was settled based on size and they ended up on the springer side.

Most people don't seem to hunt Welshies anymore, but those that do take pride in a dual dog that can earn hunting and conformation titles. Watson's breeder doesn't breed for hunting ability, but his dam's line is full of dogs from a very famous kennel that breeds dual dogs. I don't have any interest in training him for hunting or field trials, but based on what I've seen I think he would be great at it.

Most of the other hunting spaniels do have some variation between field and show. The field bred dogs typically have a lighter coat and are sometimes smaller (in the case of English springers, the field bred are around 30-40lbs and the bench are around 55lbs). I was surprised to find out that the American cocker spaniel does actually have a field variety - I thought they were purely bred as pets and show dogs at this point.

Here are some pics:

Field bred English springer spaniel:

Bench bred English springer spaniel:

Field bred English cocker spaniel:

Bench bred English cocker spaniel:

·
Registered
17,932 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, I didn't know Rat terriers varied in size thát much! :eek: Unbelievable.

Amaryllis, I'm honest when I say that if I encountered some of the dogs you posted, I wouldn't have recognized them as border collies.

Field bred English cocker spaniel:
I ADORE field bred English cockers, I truly do. I came across a breeder's website once that bred them and I was blown away. Very different dogs than the English cocker I grew up with, a show type.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts
There is not really a different type in weims. Some of the field bred dogs are a little smaller and lighter in bone, but most of the dogs you seen in the breed ring can easily go out into the field. There are many duel weimaraners, and that emphasis is growing.

There is however this

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
OH! I can't believe I forgot.

Technically this is the same as a Rat - sort of:

American Hairless Terrier. Split off from Rat Terriers, but a throwback to that hairlessness still happens once in a blue moon, in a breeder who doesn't really know what they're doing.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I really love the field bred dogs, but I don't know if I could live with one! My friend has a field ESS and she's a nutcase. I don't mean that in a bad way really, she's just hyper and eternally a puppy, but she does have the happiest personality. Welshies tend to be more chill than the ESS, but with a similar happy go lucky personality, which is one of the specific reasons I chose them.

I am really liking the English cockers more (I had never really considered them before the past year or so). I like the look of both bench and field, but I can't say I've met any so I can't comment on personality.

·
Registered
19,015 Posts
Paps vary a bit but it would probably look like splitting hairs to most people. There's not so much 'set' types but you do see trends in other countries and lines.

Shelties vary immensely between american and european style dogs.

Pyr sheps vary tons. Rough faced dogs that look like little terrier mutts to dogs that look like small aussies. Some are corded. Double dewclaws, maybe not. Cropped and docked or natural or some combination. 15 lbs or 30.

The border collie museum is a great site for BC variation.

I will try to post pictures later.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
I really love the field bred dogs, but I don't know if I could live with one! My friend has a field ESS and she's a nutcase. I don't mean that in a bad way really, she's just hyper and eternally a puppy, but she does have the happiest personality. Welshies tend to be more chill than the ESS, but with a similar happy go lucky personality, which is one of the specific reasons I chose them.

I am really liking the English cockers more (I had never really considered them before the past year or so). I like the look of both bench and field, but I can't say I've met any so I can't comment on personality.

I originally kind of wanted a Brittney, but decided that might be a BIT more than I could handle- and that I liked the look of springers, more. I'm pretty sure I could manage a field bred ESS and be okay with it, or adapt and meet the needs of the dog, but I'm still a little wary and need to spend more time with them. I've got about a decade though (or at least more than 5 years), so who knows. Maybe by then I'll decide I'm too old to handle energy and activity and get a couch potato dog.

·
Registered
6,435 Posts

The two bench bred Engies that I work with extensively (show and train), and they are night and day. The baby is very soft and she has really gotten it into her head that she is cute and we can't make her do anything because of it lol, so she can be a pain in the ring, she thinks she is a monkey too (trys to walk on her back feet), we are starting to do the ignore her antics thing and it seems to be working (she is starting to get that the ring is fun and working well gets rewarded). The older girl can be a total brat at times, hovering around for food on the group, pulling, etc. You can do just about anything to her and it wouldn't phase her. They are great dogs though, very sweet, intelligent, can be devious though.

The two ESS I show are the same way. One got her brain installed just recently the other is on back order lol.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I originally kind of wanted a Brittney, but decided that might be a BIT more than I could handle- and that I liked the look of springers, more. I'm pretty sure I could manage a field bred ESS and be okay with it, or adapt and meet the needs of the dog, but I'm still a little wary and need to spend more time with them. I've got about a decade though (or at least more than 5 years), so who knows. Maybe by then I'll decide I'm too old to handle energy and activity and get a couch potato dog.
I went through the exact same thing with Brittanies. DH grew up with one and a very good friend of mine had one when we were growing up - both were awesome laid back dogs. The more I researched though, the more I realized that's probably not the norm. I want my hunting breed dog to have some instinct, but I don't want something that needs 5 hours of running per day. I also realized I prefer the springer look to the britt. A friend of a friend recommended Welshies and I never looked back.

I've attended puppy class through obedience 2 with a brittany pup and she's the cutest. We call her and Watson "the cousins", but they really are such different types with her being so light boned and Watson so stocky. She's sweet in class, but her owners claim she is non-stop at home to the point of driving them a little nuts.

I should add that my friend with the fieldy ESS doesn't spend hours a day exercising her either. I'm sure she could handle it, but she's not outrageous in the house without it. She's just always a bit in your face and flighty, "Hi! How are you! What are we doing! What's over there! I'm going to check it out!"

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
The two bench bred Engies that I work with extensively (show and train), and they are night and day. The baby is very soft and she has really gotten it into her head that she is cute and we can't make her do anything because of it lol, so she can be a pain in the ring, she thinks she is a monkey too (trys to walk on her back feet), we are starting to do the ignore her antics thing and it seems to be working (she is starting to get that the ring is fun and working well gets rewarded). The older girl can be a total brat at times, hovering around for food on the group, pulling, etc. You can do just about anything to her and it wouldn't phase her. They are great dogs though, very sweet, intelligent, can be devious though.

The two ESS I show are the same way. One got her brain installed just recently the other is on back order lol.
I have read about experiences exactly like yours. There's an article on the interwebz by a former bench breeder who owns fieldies now and she said they're just so much smarter and more "doggy", if that makes sense, than the bench bred.

·
Registered
19,015 Posts
I've never been a big spaniel fan (quick, cover my dogs' ears!) but I adore the one field cocker I know. Awesome awesome dog. I kind of secretly love them.

I actually see Welshies more often than ESS. The ones here are SO laid back though! Very sweet gentle dogs. I like them more than ESS though.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
I actually see Welshies more often than ESS. The ones here are SO laid back though! Very sweet gentle dogs. I like them more than ESS though.
Really? That's awesome. I've never seen a Welshie outside of breeders' dogs, though my co-worker swears his neighbors have a pair (I showed him pics of every red and white spanielly type dog to make sure that's what they were, haha).

From what I've seen, the males seem to be more laid back than the females. Watson is in his nutty teenager phase, but I see glimmers of a super laid back adult dog in him.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
All the dogs shown below are dogs that I would consider correct and all good representatives of the breed.

The Conformation bred Aussie (normally(in general) competing almost exclusively in conformation and after attaining a Championship they are often campaigned for rankings after that)

The bitch above is an AKC Champion and AKC Grand Champion and nationally ranked in Conformation.

The Versatility bred Aussie (normally competing in Herding and Conformation, getting Championships but not normally campaigned for ranking. Instead they normally(in general) go on to other performance titles)

The dog above is a Conformation Champion and a Working Trial Champion.

The Working bred Aussie (normally(in general) competing in Herding and often trialed to compete for ranking in the Herding/Stockdog merit awards)

Wish I could find a higher quality stacked shot of this guy, a nationally ranked Stock dog and Working Trial Champion.

The Pet bred/bred for money Aussie>
Looks like any of the above, there is no set look for the random bred.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Golden retrievers have 2 major splits: English/American and field/show.

English v. American:

Field goldens tend to be lankier, darker and have a lot less coat:

Show goldens have a huge amount of coat and are stockier:

1 - 20 of 122 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.