Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm curious if and what show dog owners feed show dogs that is different from pet quality?
Ie; If I buy a show quality puppy from a reputable breeder, what would I feed it to make sure it's health and appearance reaches it's full potential?
If breed makes a difference, lets use German Shepherds.
What kibble would you recommend? Any supplements? I'd imagine joint supplements and multivitamins would be a good idea. What about digestive aids like Prozyme? Coat supplements like brewers yeast? You get the idea :)
I'm just trying to learn a bit. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Loki's fed raw, no additional supplements. I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who treats their 'show dogs' differently from anyone who has a pet quality dog and vice versa.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Loki's fed raw, no additional supplements. I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone who treats their 'show dogs' differently from anyone who has a pet quality dog and vice versa.
How does he do on it?
And I thought so but I wasn't sure.

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I've found that LOTS of show breeders and owners feed Pro Plan. It is a very frequent sponsor of dog shows and breeders get special prices. IMO it's one of the bottom of the barrell foods and it seems that a lot of those owners feed separate supplements that make their dogs look good.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I feed raw as well. No supplements or anything extra, just a varied prey model raw diet. The only dog that gets supplements is my little Aiyana, but that's more to help her with her multiple medical problems then to supplement her nutrition. All my dogs do fantastic on raw!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts