Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I & wife seniors have a chance to own a small 8 pound beautiful Chihuahua and Terrier mix however hes got a pee diaper for marking around the house also likes to sleep with owner in bed and is living with a larger tame Rottweiler female and we love him so much when I visited my relatives and another short note another- has any one had success with a dog trainer that would break the marking habit to rid of the diaper? should we take him with the diaper situation or not .:cautious:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know why he wears a diaper? Does he have a medical incontinence issue, or is it simply that he hasn't been potty trained completely?
:oops:yes we know, my niece who owns him said he pees on a curtain or drape to mark his spot and he may not do this when he is separated from The other dog he now lives with, so we are hoping that this can be resolved or possible a pet trainer can do something for the problem?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Training can do a lot..
But, I rescued a dog that was said to pee on everything he never did it here. The lady told me she couldnt cope with having to mop her kitchen every morning. We never restrict our dogs they have free run of the house so I placed a little trust in Remy and he never let me down..

George was desctructive or so I was told and in the first week he did destroy my OH glasses and got into my laundry basket.. But since then since he has learned our routine and knows he will be walked and fed hes never chewed anything.

Sometimes the situation the dog is in or the boredom they suffer can cause bad behaviour.. Stop the boredom or bullying and the behaviour stops too..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Training can do a lot..
But, I rescued a dog that was said to pee on everything he never did it here. The lady told me she couldnt cope with having to mop her kitchen every morning. We never restrict our dogs they have free run of the house so I placed a little trust in Remy and he never let me down..

George was desctructive or so I was told and in the first week he did destroy my OH glasses and got into my laundry basket.. But since then since he has learned our routine and knows he will be walked and fed hes never chewed anything.

Sometimes the situation the dog is in or the boredom they suffer can cause bad behaviour.. Stop the boredom or bullying and the behaviour stops too..
this is good news its all positive news to us so thank you its telling me to take the doggy 7 pounds of fun and he may not do it pee that is when he isn't with another dog .;) oh also my-niece says this dog likes to sleep in bed with her so If we placed his own bed on the floor in the bedroom would that help or in another room with the bedroom door shut ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
this is good news its all positive news to us so thank you its telling me to take the doggy 7 pounds of fun and he may not do it pee that is when he isn't with another dog .;) oh also my-niece says this dog likes to sleep in bed with her so If we placed his own bed on the floor in the bedroom would that help or in another room with the bedroom door shut ?
I always have my dogs upstairs with me. Not on my bed but near enough that they feel secure and loved..

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Then if he's a good fit, I'd say go for it! You might want to treat him a bit like a new puppy at first, taking him out on schedule and giving him praise and treats for going in the right spot so he learns it's way more awesome to do that then pee inside, but a habit like that can absolutely be improved with training in most circumstances.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow you think positive like I try to , I just think of the worst like he wants to sleep with us and if he doesn't have a diaper on he pees in our bed that would be disaster to us , but I hope for The best maybe a diaper for the first couple of weeks

·
Registered
348 Posts
Buy a cheap waterproof sheet if youre really worried about him peeing the bed..
It does take a while to get used to a new dog of any kind you have to learn their language the motions they use for telling you they are unwell need to go out ect.. So the advice to treat him as a puppy and allow him outside often praising like mad and getting that routine established is good advice..

Accidents will happen but it shouldnt be a deal breaker. Objects can always be replaced a life cant..

·
Registered
110 Posts
If you do end up needing to continue with the diapers, Tinkle trousers are awesome.
Having to use them daily now for the old lady Pug with some health issues.
They are a sanity saver.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
UTI = urinary tract infection

·
Super Moderator
11,790 Posts
A UTI is a urinary tract infection. It's more common with female dogs but males can get a UTI and it can cause problems with urination.

There are good reasons to neuter a dog but it has no effect on marking. Every marking dog I've known was neutered.

·
Registered
120 Posts
:oops:yes we know, my niece who owns him said he pees on a curtain or drape to mark his spot and he may not do this when he is separated from The other dog he now lives with, so we are hoping that this can be resolved or possible a pet trainer can do something for the problem?
Since you would be getting the dog from your niece, is it possible she would let you take the dog for a week or so and see how it goes?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A UTI is a urinary tract infection. It's more common with female dogs but males can get a UTI and it can cause problems with urination.

There are good reasons to neuter a dog but it has no effect on marking. Every marking dog I've known was neutered.
its good to know this ,thanks:coffee:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since you would be getting the dog from your niece, is it possible she would let you take the dog for a week or so and see how it goes?
o_Oits not going to happen because of the distance we live very far from each other an interstate drive but thanks any way

1 - 20 of 22 Posts