Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dog is a wonderful border collie who is 13 years old and definitely getting into her prime. She may not be around much longer, but as of writing this post, her health is good.

She is actually my Mom's dog. Long story short, my mother has no choice but to move out of her current home. She's gotten a new place, but they will not allow her to have a dog. She also cannot stay at the previous home.

What do we do?

Options:
a) I would GLADLY adopt her, but I live on the West Coast, and my Mom is on the East Coast... and I don't think putting a 13 year old dog on a plane is very wise. Or would it be fine?
b) My mom wants to return the dog to the shelter from where she got her when she was a puppy. The shelter has said they would take her... But in my mind, I think that's cruel because she will most likely live out her last remaining days stressed out and full of grief before she's finally put down, no?
c) Finding a family to adopt the dog has proven to be unsuccessful. And really, I don't think re-homing a dog at her age is much better anyways.
d) At this point, I'm kinda thinking that putting her down peacefully, with people she loves is the most ethical thing to do. Either that, or put her on the plane and I would take her.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
I think that no matter what option you choose this poor dog is going to be stressed out.
I don't think it's appropriate to have her put to sleep though if she is a healthy dog. I vote taking her back to the shelter or finding another local no-kill rescue to take her in and rehome her.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I think the dog could make the flight but it is hot now and I don't know that she can fly until it is cooler. Some one else may have better advice on this. If I had to choose between these options I would find a way to get the dog to me and keep her. You might be able to find a transporter willing to bring her to you by car/van if you contact some rescues and offer to pay. I'm not sure how much it would cost but it may be no worse than shipping her on a plane and might be easier on her physically.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I don't think putting her on a plane would be an issue. I have a 14 year old BC in good health, and I would not even hesitate to fly her anywhere despite her age. if she's in a good health and your happy to take her, then I would say take her.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I googled ground shipping dog and some sites popped up, you could also contact a household goods trucking outfit, they may be able to hook you up with an A/C ride for her. Surely airlines can ship a dog with A/C? I'd ask a vet first to see if some sedation would be advisable (or not) for a plane trip...at her age her best chance is with you, heck she could be good for another 5 years or so! Feel for your mom!

·
Registered
4,849 Posts

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Are you really happy to take her? If you do want to take her, contact local rescues, local to your mom and to you, and ask about a transport. Dogs are transported across the country every day by rescues.

If you're just looking for excuses not to take her, get a rescue to take her. Old dogs find love and joy in new homes every day. There's no reason to kill a healthy, happy dog.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
re Option A: depends on where on East and West Coast. I would not ship any dog from, say Jacksonville FL to LA due to high temperatures. Florida wouldn't permit it anyway. But a morning flight to SFO from, say, Boston, probably wouldn't be so bad.
You could also ask for bids for road transport via http://www.uship.com/

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
My friend had a semi truck driver take her cat halfway across the United States from Nebraska to her mother-in-law on the east coast when her husband started travelling nursing and it turned out that the cat couldn't handle travelling all the time. The cat had a very... erm, interesting personality and needed to go to someone who knew about him.

Once when I was doing my (awful) internship someone came in with a thirteen year old dog on a piece of rope. Not even a leash. He said he was moving to the city and the dog barked too much. I was furious. I hated that man. I hated myself for not saying I would take the dog, as the shelter had no room for him at the time. I still think about that sweet boy. I hope he is alright and has found a home but the likelihood is so small. Nobody wants elderly dogs. Don't let them dump the dog at a shelter.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
re Option A: depends on where on East and West Coast. I would not ship any dog from, say Jacksonville FL to LA due to high temperatures. Florida wouldn't permit it anyway. But a morning flight to SFO from, say, Boston, probably wouldn't be so bad.
You could also ask for bids for road transport via http://www.uship.com/
Do not know if the dog is in the Southeast. IF it is... Still no big deal.

Leave Florida on a Late night flight with a stop in Atlanta. Or fly her on a flight after midnight to someplace like Chicago. then an early morning flight out of Chicago.... If it is too hot in LA, route her into San Diego or up to Sacromento, or Oakland.

Dogs fly in and out of Florida all summer long. They just go at night.

And flying east to west is EASY because you gain night time hours.

the dog has to get a Health Cert from a vet to fly anyway. IF she is in good shape, no big deal.

Last year we shipped an ACD rescue from Florida to Salt Lake City in June. Left out of Orlando at like ten at night (there is a ground air temp. I THINK it is 80 or 82, I would have to check.) Dropped her in at Ronald Reagan in DC, then a quick connect to Denver, and a hop to Salt Lake.

It does cost more when you have to be creative to all but eliminate the chance a chance of a long layover waiting on temps to go down. West to east in the summer is dang hard to get a dog moved without a long temperature layover.

I think the Orlando to Salt Lake Jaunt cost about about 6 bills. I covered it personally. I could have done it for a little over half that if I had let the dog sit 12 to 18 hours somewhere.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
There's no way I would put a 13 year old dog in a shelter. Even if she is healthy and lovely, she is likely to live out her life in the shelter. That's not a good way to go. It would be much kinder to put her to sleep while being held by the people who love her.

That being said, if she's healthy, I see nothing wrong with sending her across the country. She will be stressed, but it will be very short term. Putting her in a shelter will be a LOT more stressful.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
If you can't find a way to get her to you, find a senior rescue to take her. There are people out there, myself included, who find great joy in adopting seniors. Under no circumstances would I take her to a shelter or put her down.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I say take her....if she is healthy she might live for years yet...I met an 18 year old dog once, other than walking pretty slow, and having some grey he was doing fantastic (wouldn't surprise me if that dog made it to 20).

Someone mentioned contacting rescues to try to see if they can help transport her, I think this would be the first thing to try, if other dogs are being transported it could cut costs too, or they might not even charge (though I really think giving them some money either way would be the best). If that won't work, try the night-flights, yeah, stressful, but if she has a health cert, she should be ok. Good luck and let us know how it works out!!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
If she is good health, she should be able to fly to you. Or you fly to her and rent a car and drive back to your house. I would literally drive across the entire country to save a healthy, lovely dog from a terrible fate.

The likelihood of a 13 year old dog being adopted from a shelter is incredibly, incredibly low. Please do not send her to a shelter.

Putting a healthy, happy dog to sleep just because her owner no longer can take responsibility for her is the epitome of cruelty in my opinion. I don't understand how there could be zero housing options where your mother could move along with a border collie. ETA: I reread this and realize I probably sound cruel, which isn't my intention. I completely understand if she has to move somewhere for something like assisted living or for healthcare purposes. But otherwise, if this isn't the case, I'm just so surprised that there could be no options where she could keep the dog she has had for so long.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
You could probably take a leave from work to go visit your mother and like Kayla_Nicole suggested drive back with the dog - I have done many many drives with our pets East to West coast and back again, its kinda fun and nowadays most motels will accept dogs(just try to get an end unit for ease of toiletign....

·
Registered
322 Posts
please don't put her down.... please take her home....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Suggestions other than putting down a healthy dog (which, IMO, is a terrible idea):

(1) Contact rescues in your surrounding area or even in other states (some rescues, specifically ones tied to specific breeds will happily take an older dog from another state just to prevent that dog from suffering in a shelter or being put to sleep before her time)

(2) Google transport services for pets, or inquire with the previously mentioned rescues about transport services, so that you can take the dog

(3) I'm not a huge fan of flying dogs during the summer, but if a flight has no layovers and it's not in the middle of the day, then that could be a good option to get your mom's dog to you

(4) Last option--find a no-kill shelter rather than your local kill-shelter. It's not as great as a rescue, which in my experience will work harder to re-home older dogs, but far better than a kill-shelter since no-kill shelters realize they may have to care for the dog long-term and most try to make appropriate accommodations for the dogs as a result. Kill-shelters are temporary stops and are generally over-filled because they don't turn animals away, for the most part. That means dogs don't get a whole lot of medical treatment and living conditions aren't great.

I don't see putting a healthy dog down as an option. It's not in any way better for the dog. Dogs shouldn't die because we humans find it inconvenient to find them a place to live. I realize I sound harsh, and I don't mean to, but I see this attitude quite a bit. Dogs have evolved to rely upon humans because we artificially selected them to be that way; the least we can do is honor that relationship by thinking about the dog as much as we think about ourselves.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts