Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family (wife, me, 3 kids) are looking at getting a new Havanese dog(s). I say plural because we will get a second one in a few months, once we get our first one used to our family. I currently do not have any other pets; I had a few Collie's who passed away about 10 years ago.

I have found one Havanese locally from a family that aren't breeders, just had this one litter. He is 11 weeks old and is the last one left from the litter besides the one they are keeping for themselves. He seems very sweet and good tempered, but is quite shy with strange people (and a maybe a little fearful of them?). From talking with them, they did not spend much time socializing the puppies. They are a nice couple, but seem uneducated on the necessity of it. From what I understand, the puppies have had little interaction with others, and have lived pretty sheltered on their acreage up until now. We met at a nearby location instead of their place as they are living in an RV while their home is being built, so the area was new to the puppy as well. The mom is very friendly and playful and seems well adjusted.

We entertain a lot at our house and, because of our home based businesses, have new people at our house continuously. I wanted to get some opinions on how likely we can help counter the lack of socialization this late in order to get him less nervous around new people and experiences. The pup whined a little when we held him at first, but warmed up to us after about 45 minutes of playing with him and his mom. By the time we left, he was trying to play tug of war and such with us.

Any thought/feedback welcomed.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
A puppy that shows shyness at 11 weeks may very well be genetically wired to be fearful. I would not pursue getting this puppy at 11 weeks and then a second dog in a few months. If the first one is genetically shy and fearful you will have your hands full considering your lifestyle which is not compatible with a shy dog UNLESS you always crate the dog when company comes.

Give yourself and the dog a break. Get a different dog and get only one dog.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I wouldn't get that puppy either. I have a dog that is nervous around strangers and it can be extremely frustrating.

Find a pup from a good breeder that will take time socializing puppies. Nothing wrong with two... but you'll want the first dog to be housebroken and trained before getting a second one.

Or contact a rescue - honestly if having a very friendly dog is important to you, it's often better to get an adult, as you already know what their temperament is like.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'm also going to add that meeting a single puppy outside the home is a tactic sometimes used by puppy brokers. If they're asking for not much money (only enough to cover mom's spay, for example), I wouldn't be worried, but any more and I'd want to see where the puppy lives and his mother (and father, if possible). Partially because brokers only get puppies, not the parents, and even if they're not brokers, the behavior of the parents will give you a better idea of what the puppy's adult temperament might be. It's no guarantee, nothing is, but it's a better way to judge than to take the word of people who are biased (because of course they love their dog!) and not especially dog savvy.

Also wanted to mention that raising two puppies can be four times the work! Read up on littermate syndrome before committing to two pups close in age. It can affect any puppies growing up close in age together, not just literal littermates.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I second everything the others have said.

Not only has this puppy missed out on some critical socialization in his puppyhood, he also could be genetically fearful. Fearful dogs can be extremely difficult and take a lot of time, training, and patience. If not trained/handled properly they can become aggressive (as with any dog of course, but it's harder when you have genetics working against you).

It sounds like you want a lab-type temperament (loves everyone, easy to train). I would definitely pass on this puppy. And I would strongly encourage you to wait until your first dog is at least 2 years old before getting another.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m not an expert, but our 8 month old havanese that we well-socialized as a puppy is very friendly with strangers. We can take him pretty much anywhere and he will be calm and friendly with almost anyone. Just putting a vote in for havanese potentially being a good breed for you if you can find a good puppy. Mine was very friendly and liked kids as a small puppy as well but the breeder did intentionally try and socialize her puppies and I took him all over to see lots of people once I got him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts