Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are getting a new puppy on Friday. The puppy will be 9 weeks old. We had a dog (before kids) and took him to training classes and had a great dog. Now, as I'm reading up on training, clicker training seems to be very popular. I think I understand the concept, but can the techniques be modified. It seems like you can't show the dog what you want her to do, but you have to lure the dog into everything. Is it possible to use the clicker to enhance traditional training or is it an all or nothing thing. For example, when we trained our dog before, I clearly remember telling the dog to lie down and plopping him down. After I said it a few times and plopped him down, he did it on command--you give the dog a treat. Practice it and that is how we trained the dog. It seems to me if it is possible to show the dog what you want him to do, why not just show him. Obviously, if you want the dog to do something complicated, you might have to lure the dog in different stages.

I guess my bottom line question is: Since I'm obviously not completely sold on the lure method, should I forget the clicker entirely, or is it a good tool to use? Thanks

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
The clicker is a Marker....it marks the behavior/position that you wanted from the dog. Basically it's a verbal or audible "YES!"....telling the dog they just did something right.

Don't be too quick to dismiss luring though. Dogs will learn 5x faster with luring methods compared to the verbal commands.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I can't remember what I was reading when I encountered the idea that there's clicker training, and training with a clicker. I think it was a Jean Donaldson book. The point is, I think there are a range of ways in which you could use a clicker for training. The clicker could be modified to fit your training desires, as long as you're following the underlying idea of it being a marker.

As far as luring goes, some people don't lure behaviors but instead "capture" behaviors or some approximation of them. For instance, I could lure my dog into a bow and then click/treat, or I could just wait until I see the behavior I want, and then click/treat - more like this:

"Clicker Training Boxer How to Bow Using Free Shaping"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts